Chapter 3

Haley groaned as she started to slowly open her eyes.  The light was blinding, causing her to blink for several minutes.  She slowly raised her arm to block the light.  She thought the entire night before had been a dream, but she was mistaken when she felt the sharp pain in her stomach when she sat up.  It caused her to yelp a little before she laid back down.  

"Look who finally decided to wake up," A rough Brooklyn accent said from across the room.  Haley immediately turned to see a turtle with a red bandana on his face and a comic book in his hand.  "How are ya feeling?" 

Haley didn't speak.  Instead, she started to scream before Raph put his hand over her mouth.  "Look, no one is going to hurt you.  We just want to talk to you, and we can't do that if you're screaming like out of a horror movie.  Now, can you promise to not scream when I take my hand away?" 

Haley gulped slightly.  Tears were coming from her wide eyes, but she couldn't tell if they were from fear or pain.  She just decided to nod frantically.  

Raph sighed in relief as he took his hand away.  Haley did not scream, but she did look scared.  "I'm just going to go get my brother to talk to you, okay?  Do not go anywhere."  He said sternly as he moved a giant metal door and closed it behind him.  

Haley gulped as she looked around the room she was in, not that it did her much good.  All she saw was a bunch of medical posters, electronics, a makeshift science lab, and spare pieces and parts of random things.  

She gently swung her legs over the table to sit herself up.  After a few seconds, she managed to stand up, despite the pain.  That was the same moment the door started to open again.  

A different turtle walked through.  His green skin tone seemed a bit darker.  His bandana was blue, and he had two straps going across his chest, holding up two Japanese swords that caught Haley's eye.  "Raph said you were awake," He closed the door behind him.  "I'm Leonardo," Haley stepped back, keeping the same distance between herself and the giant turtle.  "You don't need to be scared, Haley.  No one is going to hurt you."

Haley could feel her eyes get wide.  "H-How did you know my name?"

"It was on your school ID," He stayed where he stood, not wanting to move closer to the girl in case it scared her.  "I hope Raph didn't scare you.  He's rough but he means well," Haley didn't say anything again.  "Do you remember what happened?" 

Haley gulped.  "I remember being attacked by the purple dragons."

Leo nodded.  "You passed out after we were able to get them away from you.  We brought you here to make sure you were okay." 

"Where is 'here'?" Haley asked quietly.  

"Our home.  We live in an abandoned part of the subway underground," Leo smiled.  "It keeps us hidden." 

"You are Raph?"  She was asking questions.  Leo took this as a sign that he was breaking down some of her walls.

"Me, Raph, our two other brothers, and our father.  We've lived here since we were little." 

Haley looked at the door past him.  "Leonardo, I-" 

"Call me Leo.  Leonardo can be a mouthful." 

Haley nodded.  "Leo... I need to get going.  I'm sure school is about to start..." 

Leonardo sighed.  "Okay.  But we want to talk to you first, all of us.  And we are worried that you're going to be a target for the Purple Dragons." 

"I can handle myself.  I'm usually on my own.  I just really cannot miss school." 

"One day of missing school won't matter if you're killed by a gang member," Apparently his sarcastic tone was not helping Haley feel safe.  She actually took another step back.  "I'm sorry.  We just want to make sure you will be okay.  Please just come talk to my family." 

Haley nodded.  Her eyes never left Leo, making sure there were no surprises.  Leo gave a soft smile, but Haley did not smile back.  She watched Leo open the door before she walked out.  

The door opened to a large, open area.  Where the tracks ran was full of crystal clear water, not like the water in the bay of the city, but like the kind, you only see on postcards.  There was a depression in the floor, filled with a beanbag chair, a recliner, and an old couch all surrounding a TV.  There was also a hallway that seemed to go into separate rooms people lived in and a kitchen!  There was also a bridge that walked over the water.  This bridge led to a bigger room where the doors are nothing but fabric.  The few floors above seemed to be even more rooms with light coming through the doors.

Haley was so busy looking around that she did not even realize Raph, two more turtles, a mutant rat, and even two grown adult humans with children.  

Leo guided Haley over to everyone.  "Guys, this is Haley.  Haley, you've already met Raph.  The one in the purple is Donatello.  The one in the orange is Michelangelo.  There is our Master and father, Splinter.  And the humans are April and Casey, and their three kids, Malyssa, Gunner, and K.C.."

Splinter smiled.  "Hello, Haley.  Welcome to our home." 

Haley nodded.  "Thank you..." 

Casey smirked.  "Overwhelmed?" Haley just nodded.  "You get used to it."

Mikey snickered.  "Nothing food cannot fix.  I hope you're hungry because breakfast is almost ready."

Splinter smiled.  "Do not worry, young child.  My family will not hurt you.   We just want to make sure that our secret is safe with you, and that you are safe.  The Purple Dragons, while common, are dangerous.  They have been an enemy of ours for a few years, and they will be after you now too.  We will be able to protect you if you so desire."

Haley just nodded.   She still had no idea what she was getting herself into.  "Okay... what do you mean to protect me?"

Leo walked up from behind her.  "Basically we will come to check in on you every few days.  However, we have a spare room if you would want to stay with us.  You would still go to school during the day and everything, it would just be at night.  

Haley shook her head.  "I would rather go home.  I can't leave my parents and siblings right now.  Plus, I have dance practices in the afternoons."  

The brothers all nodded as Donnie spoke.  "We understand.  Family is everything.  In that case, though, we can get your number, add it to our system, and you'll be able to call us if you ever need us." 

"Sounds good, I guess..." Haley gulped as she watched everyone start sitting down around the table in the kitchen.  

Mikey brought out a bunch of different breakfast items.  Eggs, bacon, pre-made waffles, fruit, and anything else anyone would want.  "Eat up, girly!"  He screamed.  "Welcome to the mean green ninja team!"