Chapter 19.5--Thanksgiving With The Williamson's

Start from the beginning

Taking a deep breath, I make my way up the marble steps to the front doors. The doors are new. Growing up they used to be made out of wood, but after years of wearing out, my parents decided to switch them. Now they're made of cracked opaque glass that only allows light to stream out. I take a step back to look up at the window above. It shows off the chandelier—also from the 1950s. There are still a few things that are the same.

"I did not think this through," I mutter to myself as I stare at the doorbell. I take a deep breath and awkwardly try hitting it with my elbow. The bell finally goes off, sending an elaborate ring through the house. Sur naturally barks causing me to quickly shush him.

I wait a few seconds, my heartbeat increasing as I hear footsteps making it to the door. I think I start sweating. Pretty sure what I feel on the back of my neck is sweat. Oh my God, I suddenly think as one of the door handle begins to move and I hear the click of the lock. I'm going to be sick.

"Glad you made it," Hudson says as he opens the door.

I hate your face, My mind thinks quickly. All the pressure built up in my chest crashes down like the aftermath of a sugar high. Way to get my anxiety up for nothing Hudson.

Words get stuck in my throat. I don't know what to say, but after glaring at him for a few seconds I finally feel the familiar warmth and smell of home. "Come on in," Hudson pulls one side of the door wider to let me in. "I'll take that."

He reaches for Sur's leash and Cap'n's crate. I hand them over, unable to fully function. My focus is too occupied by my house. I walk in slowly, looking up at the familiar chandelier where Vero and I always tried to squirt with silly string. The marble floors haven't changed. During winter, Vero and I would put on socks and try to skate on them. The staircase wraps around both sides of the house until they meet at the top. During Christmas when the giant tree is placed in the center, Vero and I would stand at the top of the staircase and place the star securely on the tree.

There are still pictures hanging on the walls. The ones of Veronica in her ballet uniform. Her senior pictures and graduation photos. Me wearing a fishing cap and holding a bass I caught with dad. I see that my graduation photo is still up too. Along with the picture of my best friends who all came to my graduation. At the top of the stairs I catch a glimpse of our family portrait. It was painted when Vero and I were still kids, but our physical form hasn't changed all that much.

I take a deep breath smelling cinnamon, pumpkin, and turkey. I don't realize I'm looking around like someone who's never been here. But the truth is—all I can feel is all the memories starting to slowly flood back to me. My dad shouting for us not to throw a football in the house even though it was my mom that was throwing it. The help around the house that I became good friends with. Hudson trails behind me, not saying anything as I take everything back in.

I want to cry thinking back to the happy childhood I had here. All the days I spent building Legos with my dad. The countless times my mom made us dress nicely to impress. Vero and I almost flooding the house in bubbles after emptying a bottle of bubble bath into my parent's enormous tub. The nostalgia makes me happy yet sad the way you feel whenever you finish a good book or series. Complete yet empty.

I finally turn into the dining room. It's as extravagant as ever. Decorated with wreaths made of fall leaves. Several little pilgrim decorations lined up the table. Our table is folded up meaning it's smaller than it can be. Whenever we have guests over we extend it out. A table for six can be made into a table for eighteen.

Veronica is standing up by the buffet of appetizers to the side of the table. She's talking to my mom and dad who have their backs turned in my direction. The two of them laugh together at something Vero says. Vero's gaze lands on me and her smile softens as her eyes light up.