TWENTY TWO

ANDREA

It felt weird to be back 'home'. I glanced around the house, noticing how much it's changed since the last time I'd been here, which I couldn't even remember how long ago that was.

"Welcome home," my mother beams as she embraces me in a tight hug. I mentally roll my eyes but physically smile and hug her back. She lets go of me, turning to our guest. "Ah, Simon," she smiles, giving him a hug as well. Then she turns to Josh, saving the best for last I'm assuming.

"Where are we sleeping?" I ask straight away, gaining a cough from Josh and a small shove from Simon.

"Why, you've just landed, I bet you're awfully tired," my mother gasps, then informing us of where we're staying. "I hope it's okay that Simon shares a room with you, love."

"Not a problem," I reply, giving Simon a quick glance before heading off to our assigned room, which was, oddly, by itself.

"Does she think we're still dating?" Simon chuckles as soon as he realizes how secluded we are from everyone else.

"Well, she's always liked you," I mutter as I examine a few small bits of recently added decoration. "I can't believe she turned my room into an office," I sigh as I plop onto the guest bed. Simon sighs as well, falling beside me. The transformation of my old bedroom is the reason we had to stay in one of the many spare rooms in this house. Why Simon had to share a room with me is beyond my knowledge but I was, in all honesty, perfectly fine with it.

He doesn't say anything, but his actions say how sorry he felt for me. An arm wrapped around my waist and pulled me into him, making my heart feel whole again. This visit already had me feeling drained, and it barely has started.

"Just put on a smile and try your best to get through this. It'll only be a week," Simon whispers, then presses a kiss to my temple. He takes a deep breath to let what he said, and did, sink in, then jumps up from the bed, speaking. "Shall I set up my own little bed on the ground then?" he questions.

I shake my head, grabbing his wrist. "I can sleep on the floor," I retort.

"Why would you sleep on the floor?" he asks with an eyebrow raised.

"Uh, because you came with me on this trip to hell," I explain. "I'm going to treat you like royalty until the day I die."

"You're not sleeping on the floor," Simon argues. "It's your house."

"Well, you're not sleeping on the floor," I deny. I was well-known for being stubborn, like my father, and Simon knew of this. He chuckles and rolls his eyes, softly tossing his head from side to side in mock disbelief.

"Sounds like we're both sleeping in the bed then?" he quizzes.

"I guess," I reply. After a moment of awkward silence, I stand to get ready for bed. I brush my teeth, slip into my nightwear, and crawl into bed. I cuddle into the covers as I listen to the water run while Simon readies a shower. He always had to take one after traveling for so long.

By the time he was done, I was already fast asleep. But when he crawled into bed to join me, I was awoken.

"Sorry," he whispers, turning out his light. Before he did, I was able to catch a glimpse of his face, which sent me peacefully back into my deep slumber.

♡♡♡

For some reason, I was bouncy the next morning. When I woke up, I sprang from the bed and got ready quietly and quickly, rushing down the stairs for no reason.

While I was in the midst of making Josh and Simon scrambled eggs and bacon, my father came down, insisting I stop my cooking to give him a proper greeting.

"Who are you making breakfast for?" my father questions as he peeks over my shoulder, into the pans.

"The boys," I simply respond. My father smiled, a wave of nostalgia washing over us both.

"I'm off to work," he informs, kissing my forehead before walking off.

"But Josh and I came to visit you and mum!" I exclaim as he continues to walk away.

"Business doesn't pause for family!" he calls back, the sound of a door slamming afterward. I sigh, my chest growing heavy as I felt a wave of deja vu wash over my body.

Great, now I'd have to deal with mother all day.

As if on cue, my mother walks out into the kitchen, a smile fixated on her face as she notices I'm cooking.

"Your future husband will be very lucky," she comments as she walks over to me, pecking my cheek and giving me a side hug. This was quite strange, as my mother only showed rare affection toward me, unlike she did to my brother. I wanted to make a snarky remark, asking if she was sick, but I wanted to leave her be for now. I would bask in this moment for a little while, enjoying having a kind mother for as long as I could.

"I'm off to run a few errands. Need anything from the store?" she asks.

"Just alcohol," I replied. She laughed at my response, thinking I was kidding. I wasn't.

"I'll be back," she announces, still finding my comment to be amusing. I really hoped she bring me back some authentic wine, for I would be in great need of at least two bottles this week.