Chapter 23: Diamonds

It was strange how life could change in such a drastic way, after being stagnant for so long.

Larissa's arrival at the Billage had worked in our favour, as it would make her realise we were part of her world now. Well, that's how Darius sold it to me anyway. I unpacked a designer top and marvelled at the soft tissue paper the shop assistant had wrapped it in. The fabric felt luxurious.

I curled the shining diamond bracelet around my fingers, wondering how long it would take for Larissa to trust me. Not that she ever had ever trusted me in the past. It would be especially difficult now after the stand-off in school, I didn't think she'd even want to look at me, let alone come to my house. But, this was Larissa we were talking about, if there was a chance for her to gain more popularity – or notoriety, she would take it. I glanced at the clock watching the hands tick closer to five o'clock.

Less than an hour to go and I still hadn't decided what to wear, partly because whatever I chose would be completely ruined by the lake water, and because I wasn't sure if it would be up to Larissa's standards. An image of her and Clara walking arm in arm popped into my head. Their flawless legs were always on display and there was always some sort of jewellery twinkling in the light.

What would Clara wear? I sorted through the pile of outfits I bought yesterday and imagined her pin thin fingers picking through the clothes and accessories. I hoped the employees working in the Billage knew what they were talking about when recommending me clothes. I'd trusted them and bought everything they suggested, even the trendy oversized jumpers, which seemed a little too oversized on my thin frame. If wearing the latest fashion items would make Larissa want to be seen with me in public, then I was willing to try it. I didn't want to let Dad down, he was counting on me to complete my part of the mission. He only had the best in his team and I didn't want to be the weakest link.

17:00, time to start the mission. I took a deep breath, vowing not to make an emotional fool of myself.

Adrian greeted me as I entered the living room, and I nodded at him with as much friendliness as I could muster. He was in butler mode so there was no more interaction from him apart from a curt smile, but I saw his eyes linger on my bracelet and I self-consciously put my hands behind my back.

I felt like a fraud.

Mum smiled at me confidently and I forgot about everything in that moment. She looked beautiful, regal, in her deep purple smart blazer and salmon pink blouse. The colours almost cast a glow on her face and enhanced her light makeup.

"Ah, there you are Holly." Mum smiled and tucked a loose strand of hair back behind her ear.

"This is Mr. Richards, and you must know Larissa already. They came over for some tea."

I smiled, feeling weaker at the knees as I matched eyes with Larissa.

"Yeah, hey," I said casually somehow managing to keep the smile on my face, which Larissa surprisingly returned. "Hi Mr. Richards, it's nice to meet you," I added, trying not to stare at his hair which looked too perfectly styled to be real.

He stood up and reached his hand out enthusiastically.

"It's lovely to meet you darling, call me Will, I don't care for all the formality, really!"

I thought I saw his hair wobble a little from his energetic head nods, confirming the fake hair theory of him wearing a wig. I shook his hand lightly, but his grip was firm, and a little sweaty.

"So you and Larissa go to school together, what a shame you don't have the same classes! She's never been interested in IT, despite me telling her for months to take the subject! It's your favourite isn't?" Will sounded interested but I could feel undercurrents of something else.