Chapter 6: Limelight

"Try walking on it, does it still hurt?" asked Mrs. Motlow.

Had it been ten minutes already?

I considered lying to her and saying yes. The university event would probably end in about twenty minutes, so maybe I could avoid it altogether by feigning pain. But Mrs. Motlow would probably call Mum to pick me up or she'd send me to the hospital. Both were things I'd rather avoid.

"No, it's better now, thank you."

"That's good, come back if you feel any pain."

I handed her the bag of ice, which was now half water, and shouldered my bag. I'd have to face everyone sooner or later.

I went into the hall with my head down, and quickly walked up to the first university stand I saw. Canterbridge Arts University. The stocky man standing inside smiled as I approached, and the girl next to him waved.

"Hey there, are you interested in doing a vocational degree?" she asked brightly. She was short, but looked strong. I was really thin compared to her.

"I'm not looking to go to uni, but thanks for asking," I replied, saving both our time.

The girl's smile dimmed slightly but she continued. 

"Oh, okay, but you know vocational degrees aren't like standard degrees, exams aren't on paper."

I raised my eyebrows. If only it were possible to do practical exams for A-Level English Literature.

"Vocational degrees are awarded in skill based subjects like drama and dance."

I caught onto her last word. 

"You can get degrees in dance?"

She laughed lightly at my amazement or at her attempt in getting my attention being successful, and nodded with enthusiasm. 

"Yep, and it's the best thing because you learn different styles. There are modules for hip-hop, street, ballet and contemporary. You choose one to specialise in, but you'll have experience in many styles of dance."

I unexpectedly smiled and leaned forward with interest. 

"So, how can I apply?"

"Here's our form, you can also fill it out online, but it'll reach us either way and we'll get the process started. Take a pamphlet too and have a read about our dance course."

"Thanks! But what about entry requirements?" 

I pushed the rising surge of happiness back. This sounded too good to be true.

"You'll need to have two A-Levels, at grade C at least. But the main thing Canterbridge looks at is the audition workshop. You'll get to meet the dance teachers and have a lesson-style audition. If you're successful, the next stage would be a medical examination. It's just a general health check because you'll be undergoing intense physical training. Once that's done, we can enrol you and you'll start the degree in September."

I nodded and thought about my A-level results. I hadn't done terribly bad in the exams, but there was no telling until August, when I'd finally get my results. There was still a chance for me.

"Thank you so much, I'll check it out."

The girl waved goodbye and I walked away from the stand to find Joshua. A bubble of hope rose in my chest, and I felt myself smile fully. I couldn't wait to tell Mum about this! Spotting Joshua near the LYS university stall, I made my way over to him. With an actual degree in dance, it should help my chances of getting a well-paid job in the field. This could actually work.