Chapter 10: Firelight

My hands began to shake. Leave school. Sign out first. Okay. I walked to the reception and Mrs. Motlow smiled kindly. A lone tear slid down my cheek.
"Can I help you dear?" she asked with worried smile.

"I— my brother called in? My mum...my mum's in hospital." Saying the words out loud wracked a sob from my chest and I covered my mouth in horror. Mrs. Motlow nodded her head sympathetically and slid the glass window open to pat my shoulder comfortingly.

"Yes I spoke to him, I will sign you out. I hope everything goes well with your Mum, dear."

I barely nodded before I turned to leave. I wanted to call Joshua to ask if Mum was alright but I wanted to see her for myself. As I ran, the wind dried the tears on my cheeks. What was the last thing I'd said to her? I'd said thanks. Stopping in my tracks, I leant on the wall and sobbed. What happened to Mum? Horrible images filled my mind and I covered my mouth to suppress the sobs. I took a spluttering breath and pushed off the wall to break into a run again, but I crashed straight into someone's chest.

"Woah! Oh it's you. Hey? Are you okay?"

I frowned as I leant onto the hands holding my shoulders. I recognised that accented voice. Stephan. I mumbled an apology as I wiped my face, trying to look presentable.

"I have to go..." I managed to say, before covering my trembling lips.

"What happened?" Stephan asked with concern. His voice held something deeper but I avoided his eyes.

It felt like my throat was being squeezed, and fresh tears sprang to my eyes. I didn't have time for this. Bowing my head in trepidation, I ran towards home, spurring myself on so I could get there quickly. I didn't stop running until I reached the apartment. 

Taking ragged breaths, I unlocked the door and thundered up the stairs. I searched the whole room for my hoodie, but couldn't find it. 'If you lose something, check the last place you saw it.' Mum's voice rang clearly in my mind. I rushed over to check the laundry basket. It was still full to brim, with my hoodie right at the top. A lump formed in my throat. Mum never left the laundry basket full.

I let a scream build up before releasing it in painful cry. I fell to my knees clutching the hoodie to my chest. This was the first time I had openly cried in the apartment. It felt strange to be able to cry in the place where I always had to hold myself together. Wiping my eyes, I pulled the hoodie on and ran down the stairs, ignoring the shaking handrail as a train stormed past the apartment. I had to get to Mum. 

Just then, there was a sharp knock at the door. Taking a small step forward, I paused at the foot of the stairs. Another series of knocks resounded. There could be two people out there. I walked up to the door quietly. The knocking hadn't stopped, it was insistent, urgent. Joshua would've had the key, so it couldn't be him, plus he was waiting for me at the hospital, unless... I swallowed hard, not allowing my mind to wander. I stood still, unable to breathe. No, Mum was still in hospital, that meant she was getting treated, she'd be okay. I had to get Mum.

I took ahold of the cool doorknob and sucked in a breath. It felt like I held the Earth in my hand. With a quick twist I released the lock and pulled the door open. The slightly colder air hit my face and I closed my eyes without even looking at who was at the door.

"Are you hurt?" 

My eyes flew open in disbelief at the calmly asked question. Kai stood tall in his long leather jacket but his usual stoic expression was a little rattled.

I couldn't speak.

He frowned and I stared at the lines that formed on his forehead, they made a 'v' between his eyebrows.