"Can I pour you a cup of tea? Or coffee, dad?"

"That'd be nice, honey." Mom showed her sweet smile.

I regain my focus in the kitchen while I turn on the coffee pot. My hands tremble a little, and I am irritated with myself for being afraid to ask them.

It's sucks for Casper, but we both know I'm dad's favorite. I'm the one that gets the good grades, mingles with town's folk and, in his words, is 'making something of my life'. Dad is totally not on board with Casper's band.

Mom and dad plant themselves on the couch. I know they like to drink coffee by the dining table, but that is still full of my stuff. Shit, I'm already losing points here.

"How was your day?" I asked mom while I rock back and forth on my feet.

"Oh fine, honey. Work was busy and everyone keeps on complaining about the stormy weather that's coming up." Mom laid her hand on dad's leg, "I'm just glad your father could pick me up."

I sit down on the chair opposite to the couch.

"Listen, I have a question."

Dad's face is already buried in the newspaper that came in this morning.

"Go on." Dad said, sometimes he's like an owl, he doesn't even move his face.

"So, okay, something really important is coming up for Casper, and I really, really want you guys to give him an chance."

"This probably involves his band?" Dad asked through his teeth. He almost can't get the word to roll of his tongue.

"Yeah, it does."

"We've given him enough chances, Juliet. He keeps testing our patience and breaking our rules, our simple rules."

"I know, that's why it's hard for him to ask this of you-"

"He's not even the one asking," Dad interrupted, "if he wants to get something done, he has to be a man and come to us ourselves."

Mom eyes the backdoor, probably to try and figure out if Casper is home yet.

"He tries to do better. I have lectured him about it the other day, I know he'll be good. He just needs that. . . little push. He really needs support from you, mom. And you too, dad."

"He ought to show us some respect before we can respect him."

"Dad, lose the newspaper and look at me, I'm trying to have a conversation with you. What you're saying is so lame, we're a family, are we not? In a family it isn't 'I'll do this for you if you do this for me.'."

"I suppose you're the expert now? There is a lot you don't know Juliet, so stay out of it!" Dad snarled.

"Let's not discuss this any further. I see everyone is getting a little tense," mom softly recovered.

"He just wants you to see him play on Saturday, it would make him so happy."

"Casper isn't even allowed to leave the house on Saturday nights." Dad reminded me.

"You can't expect a guy that is 16 years old to stay at home on Saturdays, dad. Besides, he is really passionate, he has talent. Why aren't you encouraging him to pursue his dreams?"

"Because, Juliet, with his dreams he can't get a career. A real career."

"Nonsense! He really has the determination and discipline to go for it, he just needs your encouragement, it's important to him."

"Juliet, you're acting like you're a mother yourself. The answer is no, and it will stay no. There is absolutely no way we are going to his concert. If we do, he will think he can go on with his shenanigans."