CHAPTER 20 - JULIET HARDWIN

Juliet Hardwin, 15 weeks after the accident - part 2

"Casper?" I sob as I drop my body into the soil beneath me.

"I can't believe I found you!"

Casper comes running and lifts me up. He holds me tight in his arms. I wipe away tears and take his face into my hands and study it intently. He doesn't look like my youthful brother anymore - it's like he ages 5 years since I last saw him. I can tell he's exhausted, The surrounding area of his eyes painted with wrinkles and bruise-colored circles.

"We need to go." I heard a girl's voice speak.

Casper releases his grip around me.

"He's coming."

I rapidly turn, and see Evan trek towards us.

"Fuck." The girl exclaims, "I think he has a gun."

I had never seen Evan with a gun before. He seemed more like the kind of man who liked slow torture, with knives and scalpels. Though it's not a very strange sight, he's a sadist by nature.

"Juliet, get in the car." Casper commands.

"No, I can handle this."

"Casper, don't argue, just do something!" The girl again.

I take a look at her, her eyes glister in the moonlight. She must be just as much of a wreck as I am, and got dragged into this unwillingly. She looks familiar to me, and for a second, I can't help but wonder if Casper's new friend is more to him than just a friend.

Oh, I missed so much while I was gone, it will take ages to catch up with everyone in town. My jealous eyes glance over to her again, I can't believe she's on a rescue mission with my brother, I hate her. The minute I was gone and she takes over my role.

"Jay, call Miller. No, call 911. We need police here. Now!"

I hide behind my little brother as Evan approaches.

He waves his arms around him and has a desperate expression on his face. I thought Evan couldn't look crazier, but he does. Even more so than in the basement.

"Casper, friend! You found me."

"Just go back inside, Clark. We're leaving, and you're gonna let us, nice and easy."

"You have someone I need, there." He points to me, his gaze completely distorted.

"You don't need her. She's coming home."

"Casper, don't make him angry, take it slow until the cops come."

"He has a gun, how are we going to take it slow?" I snap to the girl.

"Hey, I'm here to save your ass – so just stick with what I'm telling you."

"Do not command me, I've had enough of that!"

"Girls! Knock it off."

"You see, Juliet? You're not fit to go back out there. You've been away from human interaction for too long. You won't fit in anymore. I won't let anyone harm you. You need to stay with me."

"You're crazy." Casper huffs.

I roll my eyes and leave my refuge behind my brother to walk over to Evan. Casper grabs my hand at the last second, but I jerk out of his grip.

"Let them go – let me go. I won't tell anyone what happened so you won't get arrested. I'll even visit you."

"Juliet, I need you with me."

He wraps his arm around me, and I hear the leaves rustling under Casper's feet. Evan yells at him, telling him to stay put and pointing the gun at him.

"It's okay, Casper." I look at my brother, "you have to deal with my terms, Evan."

He lowers the gun and encloses me in his arms. He's nodding against my shoulder. It doesn't feel right, but I have to keep him satisfied so Casper can strike and get us away from him. I wrap my own arms around him as well. He takes it as an invite to hold me even tighter. Out of the blue, he lifts his arm and a piercing sound follows. I hear the girl shrieking.

Evan holds me uncomfortably close to him, and I feel an impact, followed by a tingling sensation - how I imagine getting electrocuted, but all in one place.

I look down at my at my stomach, as I see Evan's hand pull out the knife he just struck in there. I quiver before him, my knees doing a poor job keeping me upright. Evan catches me, that's when I remember to breath, so I suck in as much air as I can muster. I want to fight him off me, return to my brother and go home. But this stupid mistake of mine has made everything worse.

I turn my head around and look straight into Casper's eyes, losing all their light. He falls to the ground like a rag doll.

Evan lifts me in his arms and walks back towards the house. I press my palm against the stab wound, feeling a heat that I had never thought would be imaginable. I cry into Evan's chest as he enters the house and leads me straight to the basement again.

He drops me all the way down from up the stairs. I must've hit my head a few times, but I can't think straight, I keep losing consciousness.

"It's over, your brother is dead, I got a good shot at him. No one will hear any more of your screaming from down here. There is no one that'll come for you."

"I warned you, it's a nasty world out there, you could get hurt."

I close my eyes, tears rolling down my cheeks and on to the cold, concrete floor. He took my brother away from me.