Comfort

I made it all the way home, out of breath, tired, and face dried with tears and I knew there were more to come. Amber was supposed to be my best friend yet her and my brother were keeping secrets from me. I shook my head, scrambling for my key. I unlocked the door and went inside. The phone was ringing but I didn't answer it. I couldn't with all the tears that were shedding. My voice would sound all raspy and weak.

    I sat on the couch and continued to cry. I heard Drew come in before I saw him. He stood behind me for a minute as if afraid to approach me. I kind of hoped he would be. I couldn't imagine how hideous I probably looked at that moment. I couldn't stand the silence so eventually I asked in a raspy voice, "Where are they? I know they must've saw us."

"Yeah, they did. They wanted to come talk to you but I told them it was probably best to let you cool off first." he answered. There was silence. I stood up wiping my eyes.

"Drew why do you have to be so nice? How can you even be friends with Joseph. He's just so-- and Amber she's--" I say before breaking into tears again. i run forward and hug Drew. He wraps his arms around me and rubs my hair.

"It's okay. They didn't mean to hurt you. Joseph may be a douche sometimes but he still loves you and so does Amber." I don't wanna believe it but it's hard not to when it's coming out of Drew's mouth. I look up at him not carrying how ugly my face might look.

"How did I ever last two years without you?" I ask.

"Easy. The problems didn't start until I came back." he tells me. I realize he's right although I won't tell him. I let go of  our tight embrace, my heart filled with love for him. He doesn't let go of me though. "Sky, you know I care about you right?" he wants to know.

"Yes." I say. It's not what I always wanted to hear him say (the "L"  word) but it's good enough for me. We stand there for a while with him holding me. I almost want to ask why when the tears had stopped about 5 minutes ago but instead I just enjoy it. Drew really knows how to comfort a person. Or maybe it was just me.