Memory Three

When I was twelve and absolutely in love with Drew, there was another guy named Dexter (he went by Dex) who liked me. He was in my music class and he was a seventh grader like me. I didn't like him because I liked Drew of course and I thought he had the dorkiest name in the world, but he liked me.

Even though it was music class, Mrs. Bryan was always trying to find a way to make us have homework so I wasn't surprised when she told us we were doing a project on who we thought was one of the greatest musical artist of all time. It couldn't be anyone new though. They had to be at least from the 90s or before. What shocked me though was that she said we'd be working with a partner and guess what? My partner was Dex and he smiled mouthing, "I'll be over at 3:00." I was so disgusted.

I got home from school that day to find that Drew and Joseph had once again skipped school (and as always I never told) and they were deep in conversation. I seized the opportunity and decided to listen in to what they were saying. "Why don't you like Bridgit anymore? She has a killer body!" Joseph was saying to Drew. Drew shook his head.

"Yeah, she's hot and all but she can't kiss for shit. I can't stand a girl who doesn't know how to kiss." he replied. I was done listening so I walked away. Now there was yet another reason why Drew would never like me. I'd never even kissed a boy. I sat down in the living room and pulled out my book ready to start homework when I heard a knock on the door. I'd forgotten Dex was coming over.

I made sure we got started on the project right away so I could try to stop thinking about what Drew had said but it was kind of hard and Dex was already annoying me. We were arguing on who to write our paper on. I felt we should do it on either Madonna or Michael Jackson but he wanted to do it on Elvis. As he stated his case, I realized something. He wasn't half bad looking. He was actually kind of cute. I guess I never noticed because I'd always only had eyes for Drew but now I did.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Dex asked alarmed. I didn't answer though. I was deep in thought. Maybe I could use Dex as a test dummy? I thought. So I can practice kissing so I'll be good at it once Drew and I get together. Before I could think about it, I leaned over and pressed my lips against Dex's.
"Sky? What are you doing?" a voice asked. Not just any voice though. The voice of the boy whom I loved. I quickly moved away from Dex feeling my cheeks turn hot.
"Um...I was just--" but Drew didn't wait for my reply. He just walked out and he didn't speak to me for a whole week. So much for my first kiss. I didn't even have time to enjoy it before someone walked in.