Brother

Chapter 37

" Brother. "

Rochelle Quinn's POV:

"Jenny?"

My social worker bit her lip while I studied her body language.

"Rocky, I need to talk to you." She said Rocky.

Shit. This is it.

She's taking me away.

"Right." I muttered, nearly inaudibly. "I'll go pack my bags."

"No!" She exclaimed instantly, waving her hands around like a freak. "No, you're not leaving. I need to speak to you about Rowan, I made a mistake."

I froze, catching her glance without hesitating. My muscles tensed and I took a deep breath. "What about him?"

"I should've kept you two together." She admitted defeatedly. "The Moore's said he's been acting out, skipping school. Apparently he got into the wrong crowd in school and they can't deal with his behaviour so I told them I would go out with him for a day so I can try talking to him."

"Well how is he then? Is he safe?" I questioned instantly, gripping and tightening my hold on the door frame.

"He's here."

My heart stopped.

It's been six years since I last seen my brother.

Six years since I took him back to his home, after he told me he was happier with them.

They got rid of me without a second doubt, sending me away like I was nothing just so they could have a son that they always wanted.

I took a deep breath, internally preparing myself for what I knew would soon come.

"Where is he?"

*_*_*_*_*_*_*

I sat in the dining room, awaiting my brothers arrival.

My fingers hit the table continuously, how was he going to react?

6 fucking years.

I looked up as the door slammed shut, meeting Jenny's eyes instantly. They moved to a figure behind her, still hiding in the dark light.

Rowan stepped from the shadows, stealing my breath away. Suddenly, my defences turned to paper. I was 12 years old again, watching my brother run happily to his foster mother with a spark in his eyes.

His blue eyes no longer contained the spark I had longed to see.

They were dull, almost lifeless. His dirty blonde hair shaped his face, barely covering a scar that lay across his forehead. He was tall, despite being only 14, and much taller than me.

I stood up, taking a single step forward before being forced into his hold. I melted into his form as though it was natural. His hands fold around my back, drawing me in closer to him. My body shook again his, tears ran down my face for the missed time that we nearly could get back.

6 years was a long time.

I didn't speak, and neither did he. We just stayed there- close to one another. And somehow that felt enough.

I felt like I was home.

He pulled away after what felt like hours, wiping my tears with a calloused finger. My lips shook as I tried to calm my rapid breathing. I felt like my heart was on fire, burning and pushing against my chest.