Crazy Redhead with Green eyes

Chapter 34

" Crazy Redhead with Green eyes. "

Rochelle Quinn's POV:

"Kenzie, wait." I called out, catching up to his slow walk and grabbing his arm.

He flinched back at my touch, crossing his arms as he tried to comfort himself. He stayed silent.

"Why do you insist on destroying yourself?" I questioned hesitantly, pain leaking into my words without consent.

The pain in his eyes showed too much resemblance to the same pain I saw when I was just twelve.

I prayed that the circumstances wasn't the same.

His voice came out weak and pained,  "I am destroying myself so other people can't."

" Promise me you won't do it, Kenz," My voice rose when he didn't reply, "Promise!"

"I can't." He shook his head, his voice breaking. "I can't make a promise that I know I'm going to break."

"What if it was Kade?! Or Keegan!" I tried to reason, "How would you feel if they were cutting themselves?!"

He clenched his eyes shut and shook his head at the thought, "They would never do that."

"How do you know that?" I exclaimed disbelievingly.

His reply came instantly, "Because I would never let them get as fucked up as me emotionally."

I bit my lip, suddenly wishing that I hadn't followed him. "And what fucked you up so much, Kenzie?" The question slipped from my grasp before I had a chance to stop it.

"Life."

My phone decided to ring at the most unwanted time. Looking down, I checked the caller ID. I cursed as I realised that Kenzie had taken the time to escape my eyesight and run up the stairs.

Alec.

What the fuck does he want?

I huffed, answering the phone. "Al?"

"I need to go out. Will you come and watch Ivan? Sky's gone out so I'm stuck." He sounded exhausted.

I glanced into the direction in which Kenzie had disappeared, noticing a piece of black fabric sticking out from behind the wall. "Yeah, I'll be there soon."

-**-

"Hey, Ivi." I sent him a tight smile as I sat down next to him. The sky gazed down upon us as we lay down in the backyard. "It's just us now. Tell me what I've missed."

He took out a smoke and lit it, inhaling the fumes.

"I finally got diagnosed. Bipolar disease, just like you said." He breathed out, keeping his eyes set on the rising moon.

We both lay back on the grass, admiring the conflicting colors of the dust.

"What's it like?" I asked gently, slowly moving my head so I was looking at him. He passed me the cigarette and I took a drag, simply savouring the taste.

"It feels like... Sometimes I can conquer the world, I feel amazing and happy and completely and utterly fine...and other days it takes me twelve hours to convince myself to get out of bed. I lose all motivation to do things. I'm in a daze that absolutely nobody can snap me out of."