red striped straw

------------------------------------------------------------
in which ~ we discover an item that many may have forgotten
------------------------------------------------------------

finn's p.o.v.

a gentle knock on my door wakes me. 
millie walks in slowly, a cup of water in one hand and a bottle of advil in another.

i sit up, only to fall back down abruptly.  "my head feels like a ton of bricks."

millie kisses my forehead lightly,  her brown hair brushing against my face.  "you're hungover wolfhard."

"what...what happened last night?"

the burnette cocks her head.  "how much do you remember?"

"nothing really."

she bites her lip.  "well you went to jack's party and...and then you showed up at the hospital, drunk as fuck so i brought you home."

i rub the side of my head gently.  "why was i at the hospital?"

"maddie lost the baby." millie sets the water down on our dresser.  "i'm sorry finn."

my mind can't seem to process what millie's saying.

she flops down on the bed, pulling me in close to her.

i turn away.

she takes a sharp breath.
"i'm so sorry finn."

i turn to her and embrace her in my arms, feeling her curl closer to me.  i let myself crumble, feeling tears brim my eyes.

it's not the fact that the child was partially mine that bothers me, it's that this human being lost it's life.  they'll never get to experience the world.  and that...that brings me to tears.

millie holds me close as i break.  i wouldn't want anyone else here to help me pick up the pieces.

-

i sit in bed, chewing on my red striped straw.  the advil kicked in so my brain is swimming in a pool of drugged up thoughts.

millie tugs at one of my curls, causing me to turn.  she takes advantage of my reaction, pulling me in for a sloppy kiss.

"feeling any better wolfhard?"

i smile and kiss her again to which she giggles in return.

"i missed this."  she looks up at me, wide-eyed.

i graze my thumb across her cheek.  "me too." 

we go on like that, unspoken thoughts that somehow we both seem to share.
millie rests her head upon my shoulder, i hold her right hand in mine. 

"what would you like to do today pretty girl?"

i feel her smile.  "it doesn't matter as long as you're with me."

her kind words cause a blush to creep onto my freakled cheeks.

"did you know that i love you, miss millie bobby brown?"

millie rolls on top of me, looking up with her chesnut eyes.

the next thing i know, she slams her lips into mine, nearly knocking all the air from my lungs.  she gives me hardly a moment to react before i feel her tounge press against the seam of my lips and, at the grant of my access, delve inside my mouth.  it was a very sloppy kiss with a strong scent of old beer being exchanged in the intermingling of our billowing breaths.