deep water

a/n: please read the author's note at the end, thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------
in which ~ we discover the best part of a lollipop
------------------------------------------------------------

millie's p.o.v.

yawning, i pull my legs closer to my body, sipping at my coffee. it's been raining all day so i haven't left the house.  the others have been in and out all day, busy bodies.

the serenity is broken by the squeak of the door opening, a disheveled grace stumbling in. 

"where's gaten?" she groans, messing with her hair.

i look over to her.  "i think he's in his room."

"fuck."  she mutters, jogging down the hall.

i set my now empty cup on the coffee table, playing with my thumbs through boredom.

i perk up at the ringing sound that fills the apartment.

i tumble off the couch and grab the phone.

"hello?"

"millie!  just the person i wanted to talk too." 

i furrow my eyebrows. "who is this?"

their laugh rings through my head. "it's sophia, sophia lillis."

a smile springs upon my lips.  "ah yes.  how's it going sophia?"

"great actually! i was wondering if you'd like to come by iris's place, for some fun?"  her chipper voice giggles.

i bite my tounge, thinking.  "sure."

"great! i'll pick you up in a few.  just listen for the honking car outside."

*click*

i frown.  although i'd love to be doing something, i truly enjoy sitting alone on rainy days.  i wipe away the droopy frown and pull on a cheery smile.

i hurry to get ready, pulling on some shoes and a bright yellow rain jacket.  i sit at the dinning room table, waiting for sophia.  

the drowsy silence is interrupted by shouting from down the hall.  the sounds of pleas and cries come from gaten's room.  deafening yells of protest and lies, fly through the still air.  grace's scratchy voice travels and her shouts that plea for gaten to understand, fly around. 

"do you even love me anymore?"

there's a long pause before the answer comes quietly.

"i'm sorry."

"is there someone else?"

"no, no, no!  it's not that, it's just...i don't really know how to describe it.  i did love you, and now i don't, and there's really no reason other than maybe i just got tired of loving you.  i felt like i was stuck with you, and it started to make me hate you a little.  trust me, i feel awful."

the only reply was the sound of someone sobbing.

i gulp, sighing in relief when i hear the honking car outside.

-

"alrighty, what do you girlies wanna do?" iris slurs, sipping at the bottle of vodka in hand.

sophia let's out a loud belch, covering her mouth a second too late and throwing her head back laughing.

"i want a lolipop."  i pout, popping the p.