iv

charlotte

"do you wanna go grab a coffee?" calum asked out of nowhere. we had been laying on the rooftop, discussing different music and instruments.

"i've been waiting for you to ask that! i'm dying for a coffee!" i exclaimed, my body jolting upright in excitement.

calum and i made our way out of the apartment building, and down the streets of the crazy little city. small, cute shops lined the streets, making me feel happy. i loved all these shops, i'm not sure why, but i did. even if i didn't like what they were selling, i loved the shop.

"how do you like your coffee?" calum asked me as he spotted the coffee shop.

"black, what about you?"

"same. it's weird, we have so much in common." he said, throwing his hands in his pockets. calum looked like he was nervous as he spoke. i wonder if i was the one who made him nervous, and if i was, then he was dumb. i didn't deserve to make anyone nervous, i was just... me

"i know, maybe we're soulmates!" i cooed, being sarcastic.

calum laughed, and i felt the butterflies in my stomach flutter. calum's laugh was by far the most beautiful laugh i have ever heard, and no matter how many times i would hear it, it would still make my body act like it had the first time i had heard it.

we made it to the coffee shop, and calum ordered for me, no matter how many times i told him that i was indeed an adult, and could do it myself.

"how much was my coffee?" i asked as calum set it down on a small table that was next to the shop's window.

"it doesn't matter." he said, rolling his eyes in a friendly manner.

"why can't you tell me?"

"because, then you'll insist that you pay me back for it, when i don't need you to. i was the one who suggested going here, so i payed for it."

i smiled, calum was such a gentleman. i had a boyfriend about three years ago who would never offer to pay for me, so calum doing this simple act of kindness made him grow on me even more.

"you know, i hadn't actually spoken to anyone for about two months before yesterday." calum randomly spoke out, and it took me a couple seconds to realize that he meant the first person he had talked to in a long time was me.

"really?" i asked in disbelief.

"yeah, no one likes me, not even my family..." he mumbled, and i felt my heart pang with sympathy for calum. why would anyone hate him, even his own family? i know i don't really know calum, but what i do know about him is enough to tell me that he's a sweet, genuine person. call me dumb for thinking i know that with only meeting him twice, but it's the truth, i do know.

"that's not true." i said, and calum nodded solemnly.

"yes it is."

"no it's not, not everyone hates you. i mean, i don't hate you, so that means not everyone does."

calum looked up at me, a shocked expression on his face, "you... you like me?"

"as a friend, of course, but yeah, you're cool. i mean, unless you try to shoot or rape me, then i'll definitely hate you." i smiled, and calum burst out laughing.

"i would never shoot anyone, ever." he said through his giggles. it made me happy to see calum laugh or smile, because it made me feel accomplished to know i could make someone who was so sad become happy, even if it was only for five seconds.

"that's good to know, seriously." i smiled, and calum smiled back.

we sat there, drinking our coffee and occasionally glancing at each other - sometimes meeting eyes - as we waited for someone to talk or do something.