iii

(let's pretend that mayday parade doesn't exist in this fanfic bc the songs charlotte wrote will be mayday songs.)

charlotte

i wondered whether i should actually go back to the rooftop or not. i mean, i had just met calum, and here i was, trusting him enough to meet him again? who knows who he actually was, he could bring a gun and shoot me. it was highly doubtful, but still possible.

i slipped on my leggings, then added the same pair of worn out, black combat boots i had worn yesterday. my hair was knotted, but i couldn't be bothered to brush it, so i threw it up into a ponytail.

i had woken up early this morning so that i could go to the coffee shop and grab something to drink, but realized it was pointless. i would just go straight to the roof, get my notebook back from calum, then come back to my room. if i felt like it, then i would go to the coffee shop and write my songs there. that usually didn't happen, only when i was feeling extra energetic did i ever leave my apartment building.

i grabbed my keys which were connected to a long, cloth necklace thing, (the kind of necklace thingy that college students usually wear. mostly used for car keys.) then opened my apartment door. right as i was about to walk out, i remembered that i was supposed to bring my guitar. i ran back inside, grabbed my brown, wooden instrument, then left my apartment.

i trailed up the familiar metal steps that led to the roof, opening the door that witheld the top floor.

i immediately spotted the familiar, tan-skinned boy. he was wearing a different sweater, this one was a dark grey. it looked less worn out than his black one.

"calum!" i called out, and the figure turned around.

calum broke out into a smile as i came closer to him, and i noticed that there were crinkles next to his eyes.

"hi, charlie." calum said, his voice sounded calm and smooth, almost like a nice, warm cup of coffee. oh, how i would die to have a cup of coffee right now...

"i see you brought my notebook." i commented, looking at the black object in calum's right hand.

"i see you brought your guitar." calum smiled, and i nodded.

"why did you want me to bring this anyways?" i asked while calum sat down criss-cross.

he opened up my notebook, looking for a page. as soon as he found it, he shouted out "aha!" and smiled.

"i wanted you to play this song, so that i could sing it." calum said, looking up at me with hopeful puppydog eyes.

i couldn't say no to those eyes.

"sure." i agreed with no hesitation, calum's eyes sucking me into a vortex of easy slavery. the warmness and cuteness in his eyes made you want to do his every will, i couldn't explain it.

"i want you to play this song," calum turned the notebook towards me, pointing at a song, "hold onto me."

i felt my eyebrows furrow, why did calum want to play such a sad song?

"okay, hold on." i said, adjusting my guitar.

"you know how to do the notes and stuff, yeah?" i asked calum, glancing up from my guitar.

he laughed, "of course i do!"

"good." i laughed along with him, finally situating my guitar.

"you ready?" calum asked, grabbing my notebook so that he could sing the lyrics.

i had this song -along with four others- memorized. thankfully calum chose this one, so that he could have my notebook all to himself, for the lyrics, i mean.

i looked up at calum, asking permission to start, and he nodded. i began strumming my guitar slowly, my hand making the familiar motions to play this song.

"i know i've got my problems and it starts with me," calum sang, closing his eyes, and i smiled. his singing voice was comforting to hear, it was gentle.

i noticed how calum really got into the song, and put his everything into his performance. it made me happy, i could tell that other than painting, singing must be his other hobby.

the song finished, and i put down my guitar, then started clapping. calum looked at me with a confused expression, then realized what i was doing, and blushed.

"thanks..." he mumbled, and i laughed at his shyness.

"you're really bashful, aren't you?" i teased, and calum wouldn't meet my eyes.

"i guess."

i laughed at calum, and he finally looked up at me.

"what?" i asked, confused by his stare. i couldn't explain the way he was looking at me.

calum blushed an even darker color, then shook his head.

"can you tell me why you were looking at me like that?" i furrowed my eyebrows, calum has bipolar actions

"you have a nice laugh." calum mumbled, barely audible, but just audible enough for me to hear it.

i didn't know what to say, so i sat there, watching calum. a breeze blew, and he pulled his sweater closer to his body, fisting his hands in the ends of the sleeves.

"i probably sounded stupid for saying that." calum said, looking up at me. instead of an embarrassed or angry expression, his face held a smile. i couldn't help but smile back.

"no, you're fine. thank you, by the way." i assured the boy.

"you're lying."

"i'm not, i promise!"

there was a silence between us. it wasn't awkward, we just looked each other over. it was almost as if we were studying each other, trying to find out as much as we could about the other person.

"you know, i was afraid to come back up here, because i thought you would bring a gun and shoot me." i said, biting my lip.

calum let out a loud laugh, he didn't say anything, he just laughed. i joined him. and there we were, two lonely idiots, laughing with each other on a rooftop.

*

this chapter was kinda cute and i liked it awh! chalum is slowly becoming a thing (;

thank you guys for almost 150 reads! i love youuu!