i

charlotte

the sound of my boots hitting the metal stairs echoed in the stairwell. the stairwell was seperated by different doors, one that led to hallways, and one that led to the roof.

i opened the door to the roof, a refreshing breeze blowing my faded lilac hair around. i took a deep breath, filling my lungs with clean air.

i walked onto the flat roof, shutting the door behind me. i carried my notebook and pen in my right hand, ready to write. but, before i could sit down, i noticed a figure standing at the edge of the building.

it was a boy, and he had on a black sweater. he was dangerously close to the edge, which made me nervous. wasn't he afraid of falling?

the boy shook, then took a step closer to the edge, he looked down. this didn't seem right, so i stood up, walking behind him. i debated if i should actually talk to him, and decided that i should. something was odd about the way he was standing next to the edge, his body seemed tense.

"excuse me?" i tapped on the boy's shoulder, and he jumped, turning around to look at me.

he had tears running down his face, and the dark circles under his eyes were very prominent.

"are you okay?" i asked, becoming worried.

"i'm fine." the boys said, his voice shook when he spoke.

"are you sure?" i questioned him again, he didn't seem fine.

the boy bit his lip, not looking at me. more tears fell from his eyes, "why are you asking? it's not like you care."

"what's wrong?"

"i'm gonna do it." the boy ignored my question, turning back around to face the edge of the building.

"do what?"

"i'm gonna end it all." the boy said, his voice cracking.

then it all clicked in my mind, he was going to jump. he was going to try and kill himself.

"no, you don't have to end it all." i said, stepping closer to the boy.

"yes i do, i have to. it'll be much easier." he said, wiping his tears with the sleeve of his black sweater.

he took a step closer to the edge. by now, his toes were over the side of the building.

i couldn't just watch the boy kill himself, i had to do something.

"no, stop!" i yelled, grabbing the boy by his sweater, i yanked him backwards.

he fell onto the hard roof, landing on his back.

"i'm sorry." i apologized, immediately kneeling next to him. i laid my notebook and pen on the ground.

instead of the boy yelling at me for making him fall on the ground, he started crying harder than he was before. he sat up next to me, then pulled me in for a hug.

my eyes widened, how was i supposed to react to a complete stranger randomely hugging me?

instead of pulling away, knowing how broken the boy was, i wrapped my arms around him.

"it'll be okay." i said awkwardly, slowly patting his back.

the boy pulled away, wiping his tears once again with his sleeve.

"sorry for that." he mumbled, staring at me.

"it's fine."

silence.

"you should've let me jump."

"no, i did the right thing." i said, knowing that i did. i wouldn't have let anyone jump.

"you didn't, i'm worthless. i just want to end my life, it sucks. you should've let me go, you don't know how it feels to be sad all the time. it's like a constant cloud sitting above your head, pounding down relentlessly with rain and darkness." the boy said, tears trickled down his face slowly again, he was sitting criss-cross, looking down at his legs.

"you don't have to be sad. find out what's making you sad and stop it. maybe you can find stuff you love doing, and it'll make you happy." i suggested, scooting closer to the boy.

"nothing makes me happy."

"there has to be something!"

"well, there is something." the boy said, looking up at me and blushing.

"what is it?" i asked, becoming interested.

"painting."

i smiled, "that's cool! painting is fun, actually. i mean, i don't paint, but i used to when i was little, and i remember it being fun."

the boy let out a small laugh. his laugh was cute, innocent sounding.

silence.

"what do you like to do?" he asked, staring at me like a curious five year old.

i immediately knew the answer, i didn't even need to think about it.

"i like writing songs." i answered, and the boy's face lit up in interest.

"you write songs? do you play any instruments?" he asked, scooting closer to me.

"i play the guitar."

"cool, i sing."

*

new fanfic, yesss! this is going to be my ultimate favorite out of all the fanfics im writing! i love the idea so much, it's going to be extremely cute and unique and i'm going to work really hard on editting and making sure my writing is on-point.

so please read, vote, and maybe even comment some feedback to let me know if i should continue! (: