Chapter 23

The moment James yelled 'begin' Riley dove for a quarterstaff and snapped it up. When she came to her feet she was in a defensive position. She carefully watched what he picked up. This was going to be fun thrashing his ass.

Max lunged and came up with a short pole arm. He grinned and moved towards Riley swinging it around. The sharp blade at the end he started to push it towards her as he tuned out the yelled suggestions and encouragement of his father. He wished his father would be quiet and just let him concentrate on beating this bitch back to where she should be.

Riley was in the zone now. Her body was reacting without really thinking. When he struck at her she knocked the blade just enough out of the way so she could strike. When it lightly grazed her side, she didn't even notice. With the other end of the quarterstaff she aimed for his hip. Normally it would be expected to go for an arm or even the ribs but the hip would slow him down.

Max kept the growl in when she hit his hip with the end of the staff. He could feel it already bruise. The hip hurt, but he could still move. He grinned at her, as if to say That all you got? He could smell that he had got first blood with his hit. Spinning free of her, he tried to hide his movement as he came at the other side. He hoped to take out one of her arms. He much preferred swords over any sort of pole arm. They were for wusses. His wolf was starting to get into it, and wanted her to bleed more.

Compared to him, her face was relaxed and composed. She had a light smile and nary a shred of concern showing. When he spun around she used the quarterstaff almost like a spear and aimed at one butt cheek. A good bruise there would make it painful for him to sit down. Once he was back around she was in a defensive position again.

Jake was watching and had to wince when she received the cut but he didn't say anything. He'd seen how they trained and it wasn't all that much worse than he'd seen her receive in training. Other than sending positive feelings to her he didn't say anything since he didn't want to distract her. He found it amusing that their entire group was remaining silent even though the other side was calling out encouragement. She knew they had her back and that was what mattered. Each and every one trusted she would win so why bother?

Max couldn't keep in the growl as he fought his wolf, who wanted to shift and go after her. He had to be reminded that they had to stay in human form to use many of the weapons, let alone that she had set the restriction, so it would be bad form to shift. It could even be declared that he would forfeit the entire fight by doing it. Eventually, he had several more bruises while he talked his wolf back, which didn't help. Backing up he tossed the pole at her, as he grabbed the heavy sword at the edge. Coming up he smiled, as this was a much better weapon to go after her.

Tommy shook his head, as he knew that going down for a sword would make it easier for her to retaliate with her hits, while he was still recovering. He wrapped his arms around his mate, trying to stop imaging her being the one attacking the one that thought less of females. If he didn't he was going to need to hide away with Tala for a bit!

Aiden was shocked, and had his mouth hanging open. Max was known as a good fighter, but even he could see that Riley was way better by far. Leaning into Graham's arms, he sure hoped he never had to fight her, as he would just want to roll over before the fight began!

When the he-wolf went after a sword Riley dropped the quarter staff and went after another. Why there was a Kopesh in the ring she didn't know but she rather liked them. It allowed her to hook a blade, use it as an axe, or part of it as a sword. After a good spin of the blade she unbent slightly. Her face was still composed but she lifted a hand and did the come-hither sign to him. It was almost as if she was calling a dog over for a good petting.