♤chapter 17♤

hi, guys, I am so sorry I haven't updated in nearly a week! I have just been so busy with school and exams and just life that I haven't had time to write but it's gonna change because I have a week off and I am gonna try to update and write more as I have loads of time and ideas and I hope you are all as excited as I am for the future of this story. please stick around as I am sure things are gonna get a whole lot more interesting ;) x

***

"I will have a Mr. whippy with a flake please...actually make that two flakes," I say looking at the ice cream menu on the side of the truck.

"you know what, I will have the same." I turn around and see Shawn smiling down at me. the man in the van who is wearing a bright lime green apron, hands over the ice creams and we take them from him, the gelato is huge and is already starting to melt so we start eating away. I get my purse out of my bag and fiddle through to try to find so change

"no its okay! I will pay" Shawn says handing the guy a 20 dollar note.

"thank you!" I answer back giving him a generous smile

we walked down the pathway again and sit down under a large tree on top of a small hill, we lean against the trunk and look out onto the forest and he keeps on saying how delicious his cone is and we he laughs when I get ice cream on my nose.

"I will get it for you, again!" he holds out his finger and wipes off a large dot of cream on the tip of my nose.

"this place is really nice," I say eating the last bit of my cone

"I sometimes come here and sit under this exact tree and write songs. its the perfect place to clear my head and relax and not have to think about crazy things going on in my life... you know you are the first girl who I have ever shown this tree too!"

"really!? well, I am honoured." I turn to face him and smile.

"hey do you wanna climb up? there is a good view at the top!" he questions

"Nah im good im not so great with heights"

"Oh come on!" he says jumping up and dusting his jeans off "where is your sense of adventure?" I take a deep sigh and pull myself up. shawn lifts me up as my foot and cant reach the first foot whole and I start to climb.

"I can't believe im doing this!" I laugh

"keep going! sit on that branch there and shuffle along I wanna sit next to you." I see the branch he means and I make my way over to it, I shuffle my bum over to make space for Shawn and once we get to the top and we are both sitting down we are both slightly out of breath

"thank you for taking me here! this place is so beautiful!" I say smiling and looking out over the treetops.

  The tree stands mute in the summer air. The humidity encases us both and like the boughs above me, I don't move. All I can do is stare out at the sun, sweating and breathing deeply. Every single leaf around me is so tiny and green, and from up here, even the few people around us are more so small. The birds have silenced, I imagine they are high above us, statue-like breathing with open beaks. There is a fragrance here, a distinctive aroma of freshly mown grass and soil. Underneath me, the ground is lumpy with roots that project through the soil and the ground that they twist like snakes.

"its okay, it's my pleasure. but the today isnt ending here...I have something to tell you"

"what is it?"I look at him.  his hair and eyes are the colour of dark roasted coffee beans and his skin is a light and golden. Im sitting really close to him, our arms and shoulders are touching and I have never noticed that he has a scar on his cheek which is barely noticeable. He has that shy look on his face but I think that is what makes him look so innocent and friendly.