Chapter 36 ~ Conviction

Start from the beginning

"Oh." 

Grace's soft words stirred sympathy in Wren. He knew she carried feelings for him, and he was beginning to understand the pain of loving someone unreachable.

"Hey, Wren," Leah shy smile didn't match the two-second glare she threw at Grace.

Instead of melting and hugging his princess as his body screamed to do, Wren crossed his arms, eyeing them both. As expected, they shifted their gazes at his direct stare, looking at anything but him. Edward coughed and whistled a low tune as he glanced at something fascinating on the ceiling.

"What are you two doing here?" 

Leah cleared her throat. "We wanted to come to church..."

Edward scoffed and Wren's eyes narrowed. Church was the last place Edward would go to willingly. "Where's Samantha? She's supposed to be here."

Leah captured her bottom lip with her teeth, looking down and tracing her toe in the carpet. When Edward continued his jolly tune, Wren fought to keep his stern expression. "What did you two do?"

"It was her," Edward pointed a finger at Leah, receiving a smack on his shoulder. "I'm innocent," The guard said.

"Nothing about you is innocent, Edward. Now, where is Samantha?"

Leah scowled and rolled her eyes. "Stop worrying, Butler Wren. She's fine! I sent her on a little ride is all."

"Butler?" Poor Grace Fuller had watched the exchange with bewilderment. At the mention of Wren's official title, she could stay silent no longer. "You're a butler?"

Edward flicked an interested expression Grace's direction. "Who's she?" When he tossed a wink her way, he received another loud smack on the shoulder.

"You like Fiona," Leah snapped. "Don't wink at other girls." She leveled her gaze at Wren. "In fact, don't even smile at other girls."

The young guard straightened. "Who says I like Fiona? That's...ridiculous." Edward laughed, guilt tinging his tone.

 Wren rolled his eyes in exasperation turning to Grace with an apologetic look. "Yes, I'm a butler," He waved a hand at the handsome pair, "This is  Leah Kingsley and her guard, Edward." Wren turned to his friends. "Guys, meet Grace Fuller."

"Um, hello." Grace was clearly uncertain what to think of the duo.

"Hi," Leah dead-panned.

"Hellooo," Edward wiggled bushy brows.

Wren sighed. These two were proving to be a handful.

Grace turned  her attention to Wren. "So, a butler? Like do you take care of the house? Set tables and answer doors? I don't quite understand.."

"Well, I'm not that kind of butler. I'm -"

Leah interrupted. "He takes care of me." Her smile didn't reach her eyes. "In fact, we are like this." She crossed her fingers to indicate their tight relationship.

"Oh..I see," Grace cast an uncertain look to Wren.

He hated to see the hurt in her brown eyes, but decided this might be what it took for the twenty - two year old to move past her feelings for him.  He once again focused on Edward.

"Is Samantha safe?"

 "Dude, I'm a bodyguard. I wouldn't let anyone harm her."

Wren studied his friend, noting the sincerity in his gaze. "As long as she's safe."

"Yep. She's just getting a taste of her own medicine."

Leah's snicker said it all.

***************