Unruly Servant (chapter 25)

Start from the beginning

I took one look at the expression on Sebastian’s face before settling with his silence as an answer. In due time he’d figure it out, even should such a discovery be scandalous in the human world at this time. However only I was privy to this knowledge outside of them and I was not planning on letting a whisper of it pass my lips.

“Never mind, I can see these things are not for the simple minded,” I teased. 

Ahead of us Ciel turned to look over his shoulder with an impatient expression. I chuckled lowly before picking up my pace, or as much as my dress would allow, to catch up to him. Behind me I could hear Sebastian doing the same. 

Ciel quirked an eyebrow, “You two-.”

“CIEL!”

A blonde streak darted across the deck, startling the other passengers out of the way. Within moments Ciel was stumbling backwards, two arms intwined around his neck as a head of blonde curls nuzzled his neck. If I hadn’t been too stunned I might have laughed at the situation, but as it stood I could only blink in confusion at the scene playing out before me.

“Oh, I didn’t know you were going to be here too! Father will be so surprised and I’m sure mother will be glad to see you as well!” The girl gushed pulling away to reveal herself as none other than his fiance.

I stared at Elizabeth Middleford with wide eyes. She was certainly much more excitable then she had appeared through a window the other day. The complete opposite of Ciel with her large, unyielding smile and brightly colored persona. She practically glowed and, quite frankly, it was sickening.

“Elizabeth! Compose yourself!”

I flinched back at the voice that cut over the small murmur of onlookers cooing over the sight of the young couple. The source of the command came from a stately woman making her way over to our group. I took one look at her stern expression and critical gaze, before promptly shrinking back. 

Elizabeth instantly pulled away from Ciel, taking two steps back till she stood besides the woman who’s narrowed gaze was suddenly directed at Ciel and Sebastian.

“So Earl Phantomhive were you ever planning on informing us of your departure from England?” She asked, her cutting glare never leaving his face.

“The situation of our trip left us with little time for such things, Aunt Frances,” Ciel responded stiffly.

She nodded, accepting this answer for the time being. Since she was Ciel’s aunt and sister to his father by blood, I assumed she knew of the Phantomhive heir’s job under the Queen. I doubted there would be any other reason for her to so quickly believe Ciel. She didn’t seem like the type of woman to let people off so easily.

“I see you still haven’t taken care of those indecently long fringes of yours,” she critiqued her eyes narrowed on Sebastian now. 

Sebastian’s expression flinched and I actually had a hard time not giggling. The most threatening demon in hell actually cowering to a human woman?! It made for the most grand sight and should I have been back in hell the stories I would have spread! 

“And you,” she began, quickly gaining my full attention. “Who are you and why is a young woman traveling unattended with two males?”

I had enough decency in me to blush at her comment. Casting my gaze to the ground, I thought of the most believable lie to spin. Certainly playing as Ciel’s sister would not work with her and I was not fond of the idea of trying to fabricate false memories. I did not want to be worn tried for such silly reasons, especially if I were to need my energy later.