Unruly Servant (chapter 13)

A/N: Sorry really short chapter (was only six pages on word) and I know I posted it really soon after the last chapter, but I had this one done earlier today and I didn't want it sitting there so I posted it. Deal. We finally meet the Undertaker though sooooo.... :D and learn some disturbing news. Oh well...win so lose some.

Chapter Thirteen

    “I hope you aren’t planning anything, my lady,” Sebastian stated, only using the title because Soma was seated comfortably behind me in the carriage.

    I smiled brightly and shook my head as I grabbed onto the hand he offered and came down the steps of the carriage with Sebastian’s help. The crowded downtown street in the middle of the fashion district of London was my supposed stop, though in actuality it was just my false lead so that I could slip to where I needed to go without Sebastian knowing. My actual destination was very far from this particular crowded street.

    “Of course not, Sebastian,” I joked lightly, pulling the hood of my coat over my head to keep my face out of the cold. “I wouldn’t dare do such unbecoming things as conspiring behind Ciel’s or your back.”

    “I hope for your sake that those words are spoken with truth,” he warned while keeping his tone calm and pleasant, like an average butler. I would be lying if I said that the tone lessoned the intensity of the threat, when in fact it did nothing more than to serve in making the threat even more clear to me.

    I gave a half smile, “They were.”

    Sometime in the short banter of threats between Sebastian and I, Ciel got restless and had shifted in his seat so that he rested an elbow against the side of the carriage and leaned his cheek into the up lifted palm. His entire posture radiated annoyance and a wish to get moving. But none  of this was noted by anyone until he spoke.

    “Sebastian, I would like to get on our way,” he snapped. “Being late is frowned upon.”

    Sebastian turned away from me and bowed to his young master, “Of course, my lord.”

    I lifted my chin slightly higher and delivered the demon a smirk, “I shall be off now, I’ll expect you men to be here before it grows dark to fetch me. You wouldn’t want to make yourselves into fools for neglecting a lady by leaving her to wander the streets at night. London can be a terribly frightening place at night, you never know what sort of demons lurk in the alleys.”

    Sebastian visibly smirked at my speech, we both knew I could very well take care of myself if the need arouse. A human couldn’t possibly hurt someone like me, if anything they were the prey and I was the hunter.

    With one last bid fair well, I walked off listening as the Phantomhive carriage pulled away and went in the opposite direction towards its own destination. I smiled softly to myself and counted the moments in my head until I knew the coast would be all clear to head where I needed to go. While I slowly counted down, I peered into shop fronts feigning interest in the dresses and accessories as I passed. More often than not, I caught one or two human males take a double take as I passed. Though unfortunately for them, my hunger was quenched for the moment and I had no need for such silly interests as small talk and causal flirting.

    A full ten minutes had elapsed before I concluded that it had been a sufficient amount of time and wondered away from the nicer parts of London towards the back alleys where no sensible lady would dare travel, even in broad daylight. But of course, I was no sensible lady to begin with. Here the brick walls were no longer bright red and scrubbed clean of grim, instead scum coated the crumbling dulled bricks that looked almost black with coal and lord knows what on them. The cobble stone road was no longer easily traveled and pot holes scattered the streets, hidden beneath a fine layer of white snow and threatening to break ones neck if they tripped over one. Faces leered out at you from connecting alleyways instead of giving a pleasant smile or nod of respect from across a clean kept street. Things of the polite society were scare and even forgotten here.