Dark Skies

• 36 •

| Nate |

"So, this is the stage?" Matt says, walking around the stage and whistling at the wide empty space in front of it.

"Yup!" I shout excitedly, "This is where our biggest show of the tour will take place. One that I hope you'll participate in," I look over at Matt, "if you want to, that is. But we'll both see what happens during rehearsal, yeah?"

Matt nods. "Yeah."

He wanders around the stage some more, a strange glint in his eye. I can't decipher whether it's a fearful glint or one that's filled with excited thrill. I smile slightly as he starts running around the stage, enjoying the wide open space which has been used to hold concerts for years, lots of famous musicians and singers all used this one stage, the thought alone is amazing. And we're next. This'll be my first time performing here, this stage being one to only allow the best of the best to use it. My dream, it's finally coming true. I place a hand over my chest and close my eyes in content. Thousands of people will see us tomorrow night, thousands of people will be watching from their homes. I look up at the dark sky. Tomorrow will be fantastic, I just know it. I look back over to Matt, seeing him sitting down cross legged on the smooth surface, smiling up at the moon as it shines as clear as day in the sky. I look up at it, too, seeing it's perfect glow contrast with the black. Seeing the stars add to its beauty, it's like a show all on its own. The moon is the main performance and the stars are its crowd. Walking over to Matt and sitting down next to him, we look to the moon together, seeing a shooting star cross its surface.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Matt says to me, breaking our silence.

I nod. "It can't outshine us, though." I look at Matt, "It won't ever outshine us, we're too good for it."

He looks to me and chuckles. "We're not even a couple, haven't even gone out on that date you promised me. Trust me, it outshines us by a few thousand miles and more."

I punch Matt on the shoulder lightly, having a fake hurt look on my face. "I mean.. we can make this work.. we can, after the show tomorrow, go out and have a nice day together. Me and you, as a thing." I propose, placing my hand on Matt's shoulder.

"I.. I don't know." He says, looking back up.

"Oh come on, after all this time? You're now just bailing on me?"

"It's not that, no.. it's just.. I don't want you hurt." He looks at me, hurt shining in his eyes, "You make so many people happy, Nate. I don't want you to lose that. I don't want your friends to lose that either, or Rylo."

"But.."

"One way to separate us is death. Do you want to die?" He sighs, frowning.

I cup his cheeks and press my forehead against his. "I'm not letting the universe take what we have away from us so easily. Fuck the universe, we have to follow fate. Fate wants us together. So damn it! I'm gonna follow her, alright?"

Matt looks away from me, taking my hands off his cheeks and pushing me away. "Even if you'll get hurt again?"

"Especially if I get hurt again." I state, ruffling Matt's hair.

He chuckles softly and looks back at me. "You're an idiot."

"The best kind and you know it." I say, leaning in and giving Matt a quick peck on the nose.

Matt recoils in slight surprise, red dusting his cheeks. He looks away from me and crosses his arms, his mouth curling up into a smile. I chuckle, he really is a cute sight. He soon chuckles with me and soon we're laughing together. I can feel happiness return to his being as warmth fills me, at least he's happy now. Smiling wide, laughter having died down, I throw my arms around his frame and pull him onto my lap. He laughs more in surprise, letting out a little gasp of even more surprise as I flop down onto my back. My arms flop down to lay out across the ground by my sides, leaving Matt laying down on top of me. To my enjoyment, he reaches out, grabs my hands and picks them up, moving them to rest on his chest. My smile softens at this, I allow my hands to lock as I hug Matt close to my chest. We find comfort in each other as we watch the skies above.