Proposition

• 17 •

| Matt |

I walk into the theatre glumly. The events of yesterday still fresh in my mind: waking up with a piercing headache on the floor within a few hours of entering my apartment, with Skip pawing relentlessly at my head and letting out scared, small mewls. It tore my heart in two to see him like that, but it isn't his fault. I put the blame on myself but I know it isn't my fault either, is it? It's just stress finally catching up to me after years of me running away from it. I'm always running nowadays, it's nothing normal anymore. After running from my family's home out of sheer fright to now when I'm running from Nathan; my possible soulmate. I don't want to think about that right now.

Instead of walking to what I'd usually be doing, I head over to my boss's office and invite myself in. I already know that he wants to see me. Again, thanks to the event of yesterday when I completely ignored his calls for me. We stare at each other for a bit until he motions for me to come over and take a seat. I nod shyly and walk over, taking a hesitant seat on the leather chair on the other side of his desk. Our gazes keep on each other, not breaking. The silence in the air is suffocating, I want to jump out a window and breathe in some not-so-fresh outside air. The silence continues until a harsh sigh escapes my boss's lips.

"Matthew, you know, I'm not happy with your actions yesterday." He states, sitting upright in his seat and giving me a glare.

I look away. "I know, why do you think I came in here in the first place? I already knew that you wanted to talk to me."

"Of course. But this is serious, Matthew. I've been told of what you did at a certain somebody's concert." He leans back in his chair as I freeze.

He knows. Nathan told him. I'm in so much trouble. I feel myself start to shake visibly and my breaths become ragged, this can't be happening. No, c'mon. I feel the gentle pat of my boss's hand on my shoulder but I ignore it, I'm scared. My boss may not be the most powerful person but if this info leaks out, I'm done. I won't be trusted. I know that a lot of people sneak into Nathan's concerts and all that, but with help from a cat? Through the back during a show when the security people are most likely to be around the stage in case any crazy fan tries to get to Nathan, Amanda or Andy? I took a smart route, and that would scare people. I force my breaths to even as I give a small smile to my boss. I shrug his hand off.

"Yeah, I know what I did. But it wasn't on my terms it was on-"

He cuts me off with a sharp tone. "I don't want to hear it, okay?" I look down, "Look. He has a proposition for you."

I sit up straight and pin my full concentration on him. "A proposition?"

My boss nods. "Yes. And it's pretty surreal how he's giving you a second chance. A chance like this one to boot."

I slam my hands on his desk without meaning to. "Well what is it?!" I shout. He gives me an unimpressed look.

"You're to work with him for a while, work back what you owe and a little extra for yourself. You're to travel around with him for a while, go to a few concerts and such."

I pale slightly. I can't do that.. what about Skip? My apartment? My jobs? I take a deep breath. "But what about my life here? My cat, my apartment, my other job?" I ask him desperately, shaking.

"Not to worry, Nathan's already taken care of that. Already having talked to your other boss and-"

This time I cut him off. "How does he know that I work two jobs and exactly who I'm working with?"

"I told him." I deadpan, oh, "Anyway. Him being a nice guy, he's already covered your rent for the rest of this month."

"But.. this month just started."

"And he covered it for you, and before you ask I gave him info on your living arrangements."

I nod and look back down. I can't believe this, what the hell? He's just making it so that I CAN'T refuse, isn't he? Having already gotten permission from my two bosses and payed my rent for me. Wait. If I'm to pay him back then why he'd pay rent for me?

"And.. Skip?"

"He's allowed to go with you."

I sigh. No more running, Matt. Face this like the man you are. I take a shaky breath. "I'll do it."