Stress

• 16 •

| Matt |

I quickly turn myself to face the person who spoke up, my face instantly floods to a look of pure relief as I see Skip in Stephanie's arms. She had a small smile on her face and a caring vibe drifting around her. I feel my body relax as I walk over to her and instead of taking Skip from her, I envelop her in a big hug and start thanking her over and over. I know, I know that I was probably worrying for nothing but.. I couldn't help it, but now everything is fine! Stephanie brought him back to me so all is fine now. Almost reluctantly, I let Stephanie go and take Skip off of her. We both smile at each other, she nods to me and replies a sweet you're welcome. I cuddle Skip close to my chest as the receptionist types away at their computer, Stephanie's smile drops slightly.

"Hey.. Matthew," I look at her as she catches my attention, "I have a small confession to make." She says.

I tilt my head. "What is it, Steph?" I ask.

The receptionist in the background tried to get my attention by coughing falsely but I ignore them and keep my focus on Stephanie. She continues. "I didn't find Skip, Nate did."

My happy look drops as I look at Stephanie in disbelief. "What?"

Before Stephanie can answer my question, the receptionist clears their throat, obviously annoyed, and gets mine and Stephanie's attention. They turn their computer screen towards me and I look at it.

"I found your perpetrator, Mr. Patrick." The receptionist says, replaying a video from the security camera footage.

The video shows Skip, curled up and sound asleep in an outdoor enclosure. The door to the enclosure being closed and locked to ensure a safe environment for any animal inside. The fence surrounding the enclosure looks to be intact and well. Skip, who lays asleep in the centre, yawns and stretches his slender body out. He stands up and follows the shrill noise of a person who's trying to lure a cat. The camera moves to show that the person luring Skip had cut the fence surrounding the enclosure, the small hole that's there allowing Skip to walk out and look up at the perpetrator once he's in front of them. The perpetrator slowly picks Skip up and holds him up to his face, examining him thoroughly as if to see if they got the right cat or not. Nodding to themselves, they leave the enclosure and walk out of the camera's line of vision. The video footage cuts off there.

I keep my gaze glued to the computer even after it's been turned around to face the receptionist again. I feel nothing but contempt for the person who did that. Nothing but rage and fury, being held back due to me being an introverted pacifist. I can't let it out anyway, I don't even know who did it. My guess is on Nathan, seeing as he's the one who handed Skip to Stephanie to give to me. But then what if he got Skip from a different source? I can't think much on this. My mind's pulling a blank and my contempt is holding me back from any coherent thoughts. I relax myself slightly by drawing out a long and stressed breath. Without giving another word to both Stephanie and the receptionist, I leave the shelter and start making my way back to my apartment. My need to just go home is too great, I ignore all the people I bump into or forcefully push aside. I ignore the things they say or do, I ignore the distressed mews coming from Skip himself.

Once I'm at my apartment, I unlock the door and step inside. I take a look at my dark place. With the gloom still hanging in the air from the last time I was here, it made me feel worse. I could have lost Skip, forever, without knowing why. And that hurt to know. The gloom, depressing atmosphere takes me by my throat and threatens to strangle. My words get caught, as well as my tears. I stand still. The only move I make is kicking the door closed. Skip soon jumps out of my hands but I'm still standing still. Thoughts soon attack my mind and I feel my vision go hazy.

Is this it. Is this all my life is going to be? Am I really just going to run, run and hide? Is there nothing more?

I feel myself falling forward but I don't stop the fall from happening. I lay there, flat on the ground until my vision goes black from all the thoughts attacking my mind.