I Love You | Sterek

Ship: Stiles and Derek

Fluff: You wish

Smut: Nope, just pain

Prompt: Derek is dying, so he calls the person he needs the most. 

He looked down at his hands, covered in blood. He knew he was going to die soon. If he had known that when he opened his door he would have been shot by a round of wolfsbane bullets he wouldn't have opened it. He would have run out the back door and escaped.

But alas he didn't, and now he lays on his floor alone and scared.

He knew that he needed to call for help but there was only one person he wanted to talk to at this moment.

He waited as the phone rang beside him.

"Hey Derek! I've missed you so much! How have you been?" His cheery voice brought a smile to those blood drowned lips.

"I've been great Stiles. I was just wanting to check in on you." It took all his strength to keep his voice leveled so the Stiles wouldn't worry. "H-How are you?" He mentally cursed in his head at his stuttering.

"I'm doing good. College sucks but it's college. There's not much you can do about it." Derek could hear him shrug as he walked through the busy college crowd.

"Yah, but you love it. I loved it..... I uh. I love you."

There was a brief pause after his words. Stiles stopped walking his heart beating wildly in his chest. 

Did he hear him right? Could this just be some dream? 

"Der...," He blew out a breath not believing what he was hearing. He couldn't just lie and say he didn't love but what if Derek didn't love him like he loved him.

"Stiles? Stiles, please." His voice was desperate, desperate to hear those three words.

" I-I love you too Der. I really do." Derek smiled threw his pain when he heard what he needed.

He could feel his life drain from him. He used every ounce of strength he had left to stay on the phone. He had to finish what he was going to say before it was too late.

"I know you do." Stiles' eye bugged out not expecting that answer. "You were never really good about hiding your feelings. Just so you know, I always have loved you. Ever sense I saw you and Scott on my property all those years ago. It was love at first sight Stiles."

"Why are you telling me this now Derek? You sound funny, are you ok?" He sounded scared. But Derek knew he would have to get over with this conversation quick. He could feel death creeping it ugly hand his way.

"I'm perfect Stiles. Nothings wrong I promise. I just wanted you to finally know."

His vision blurred as he finished his confession. He could hear his heart slow down as he laid alone in his old dusty apartment.

"Why speaking like that, like your never going to see me again? I want to see you." Stiles pleaded tear of worry building streaming down his cheeks.

"So do I.. I love you. Just remember that. I love you so much."

He hung up the phone before Stiles could reply. He watched as the world faded away. He smiled the first smile in months since Stiles left, as he replayed Stiles saying he loved him back.

Derek died happy. Even though he did die too early. He did live long enough to know that the man who held his heart for so long knew he loved him and he loved him back. When he saw his family reaching out to him in the light. He knew he could wait for his love to come to him. For he was finally going to be with his family again.