Eternal Bond

I watched as mother, father, Firedrake, and Cira flew off into the sky. There V-22 flying high and fast as it left the base. I sighed. Another mission, another chance to lose them.

"Don't worry, there not the best Dragon Squad for no reason." Nina smiled, laying her paw over my back. I returned her smile. She always had that effect on me, to make me feel better when i was down. No matter what it was, she could always lift me up again. Nina and i had both been training with mom, dad, Firedrake, and Cira to prepare for Talon squad. Both our parents wouldn't allow us to be on any other squads, so we were trained by the best, to be the best. We started our training when we were 14, and on an aircraft carrier. Then we moved to the hills of Thailand to a firebase named Firebase Crater. It had earned the name through the soldiers mostly based here, Artillery men, and Forward Observers. But it didn't go without its own set of fangs. In the middle was a massive 20" barrel weapon. Biggest I've ever seen, even when comparing to the guns of destroyers. From what i was told, it could hit a target accurately up! to 80 miles , and scare the shit out of you at 120. I defiantly feared it.

Well, it had been 2 years of training and Nina and i were both 16, but still weren't allowed to join Talon. My dad and Nina's dad didn't really want us joining if you want the truth of the matter. Especially since there rise in action. They hardly ever spent time with Nina and i anymore. Usually there time went into rest, food, and training for new missions. I hated it, but, also kinda liked the solitude. Its strange, and i couldn't really place why i did, but i did. As for Nina, that was different. She hated seeing her parents go out, hated being alone. Often she would stay with me until they returned, not that i minded. I loved having Nina around......and kinda had a crush on her. I had felt that way about her since we were smaller, but i don't know if she feels the same about me. I sighed as i looked her over. Her beautiful black and golden scales. Her wonderful blue and green eyes. I loved her, but i couldn't tell her.

"What?" She asked smiling at me. My scales turned red with embarrassment. I had been staring.

"Nothing." I replied quickly looking away. She laughed and wrapped her tail around one of my horns.

"Come on, lets go get something to eat." She said pulling me along behind her.

"Hey hey ok , just let me go." I whined as we walked. She released me and we walked to the mess hall. Inside we sat down in our families favorite spot and waited for our food. As we waited, we talked. Simple subjects like training where the main points of our discussion. It eased our minds and made us loosen up a little more. The door opened to reveal 3 dragons our age walking in. I growled to myself. Keith and his buddies Scar and Luke. I hated them. Keith was the "bad boy" of there little group, and the leader. He thought he was better than everyone just because all the other young dragones's liked him. Made me sick. Scar was the shy one of the group. Although probably to coolest, and kindest, he defiantly didn't belong with Keith. And Luke was just like Keith , but in a bigger package. The usual "I'm bigger which means in better" type of run around. They all made me sick to my stomach. Keith scanned the room before spotting us. With a smirk on his muzzle he walked to our table and sat next to Nina, his friends standing at the end.

"Hey pretty girl. Whats say we ditch this chump and go eat at our table." He crooned to Nina. She smiled.

"Im already sitting with Shadow, so maybe next time." She replied.

"This little runt? What the hell is so special about him huh? He's just a little punk who needs to knocked down a notch." He growled at me. I didn't acknowledge him, opting to instead watch for our food.

"Honestly, he wont even fight back. You think a male like thats going to protect you in battle? Probably run away, tail tucked all the way to his moms grave." He laughed turning back to Nina. This hit my switch this time. I spun to look at him.