Chapter Thirty-Four: A Girl's Heart

Start from the beginning

"He'll just be the buttmonkey he's always been," Kyou said with a smile and a flip of her hair.

"Onee-chan..." Ryou giggled.

"Well, it's been a long day for everybody," the older twin said, getting to her feet. "I'm going to go check on Jeff; I might stay here tonight so I can take care of him, depending on how he's doing." She then gave a catty smile. "Or I might just stay anyway."

"Onee-chan, behave yourself!"

Kyou suppressed her laugh with her hand before exchanging kisses one the cheek with her sister. "We got sidetracked, so I'll have to ask about your day another time. Tell Mom and Dad 'hi' for me."

"You think your dad will ever let you go home?" I asked.

"Yup!" She chirped as we headed back to the main doors. "Daddy loves his little angels too much to be away from them for too long. He'll probably cool off in the next day or so and tell me to come home."

"That's good," I said, relieved. "I'm sure Botan misses you."

She shook her head. "No, he doesn't; he's been visiting me every day."

"That's pig's a ninja," I quipped. "How does he get out, anyway?"

"He just does," Kyou replied with a mysterious smile. "It's one of his seven skills, after all."

I shook my head. "Sure. Anyway, I'm glad your dad will want you home soon; that'll help things get back to normal...or something close to it."

"The question is," Kyou said, mysterious smile still in place, "will I still want to go home?"

***

Ryou seemed awfully quiet as we passed Furukawa Bakery. "You okay, Ryou?"

"I'm just worried about Onee-chan," she admitted. "I know she's more mature than before, but...what if things don't work out with Ashton-sensei? She can't live at the Furukawa's home forever."

I sighed heavily. "I know what you mean. Do you think she's burned her bridges with your dad?"

She shook her head. "No, but if she refuses to go home, he might kick her out permanently as a punishment for being disobedient."

"Would he really do that?" I asked. "Would he really kick out one of his 'angels'? Wouldn't your mom try to stop him somehow?"

"She would," Ryou acknowledged. "But she'd ultimately respect his decision. Even when he kicked Onee-chan out before, he didn't do it impulsively. He was in his office for over an hour before he came out and told her to leave."

I sighed heavily again. "Sounds like Kyou might be playing with fire."

"Yeah..."

We rounded the next corner and nearly ran into a human wall. We looked up to...a coincidence.

"D-Dad?" Ryou stuttered. "What are you doing all the way out here? Tomoya-kun's bringing me home now, if that's what you're worried about."

Fujibayashi Ryu looked at us with an unreadable expression. "Where is your sister?" he asked in an even tone.

"Sh-She's at the church right now."

"Do you know what she's doing there?"

"T-Taking care of Ashton-sensei because he's sick."

"Take me there; I need to have a word with him," he ordered, then looked at me. "You may go, Tomoya-san; you will not be needed for this."

I didn't think Ryu would do anything like beat up Pastor Jeff, but still... "Pastor Jeff is my mentor, so I'll go with you."