Chapter Seventy-Five

Start from the beginning

"Mr. Baxtor can you turn the lights off please," Dr. Porter asked. Jamal grunted lowly but nonetheless, reached over and flicked the lights off.

"Gosh I'm so anxious to see my baby," I mumbled as the doctor placed the tube on my stomach. I bit my lip and looked at the screen as she moved the baby doppler all over my stomach.

"There's your baby," Dr. Barnes said smiling. I leaned up and looked at the screen. I was amazed by the tiny creature that I saw on the screen.

"Oh my goodness," I whispered.

"This is the little arm and here's its feet," Dr. Porter explained as she pointed to the screen.

"Can you see dad," the nurse asked him. Jamal had stood up from his seat and was standing beside me. I looked over at him and saw that he was just as astonished as I was. I smiled before turning my attention back to the ultrasound.

"It's so big already," I said as I tilted my head.

"Mhm, I see a pretty big head there too," the nurse joked.

"He gets that from his father," I said sarcastically. I waited to hear Jamal say something slick back but he didn't, which surprised me.

"Would you like to hear the baby's heartbeat," Dr. Porter asked. I looked at her surprised before scoffing.

"We can hear it's heartbeat too," I asked excited.

"You surely can," she said. I chuckled and shook my head. Today was going on my list of best days of my life.

Dr. Porter placed the baby Doppler onto my stomach again and I could hear the weird noise my baby's heartbeat was making. Jamal looked alarmed when he heard the sound as well.

"Uh, is it 'pose to be making that sound," he questioned. Dr. Porter nodded her head in amusement.

"That's just the sound that the heartbeat makes since the baby and mommy's stomach is muffling the true sound of it. You guys make it so easy to tell that you're first time parents," she chuckled as she snapped photos of the ultrasound.

I laughed nervously as I sat up and wiped the jelly like substance from my belly. Dr. Porter left the room to print the photos of the ultrasound for me. I knew she was going to print a lot of them but I didn't need that many because I really didn't have anyone to give them too. Besides my shrink, I had no real friends.

"Shit was crazy, right," Jamal said all awkward and stuff. I averted my eyes from left to right before nodding.

"Yea, we're so weird and don't know shit when it comes to knowing things about a baby," I said. He chuckled and nodded before there was an awkward silence between the two of us. Dr. Porter walked in with an envelope that held the ultrasound photos. I quickly ripped it opened and looked at the pictures like I hadn't just seen them a minute ago.

"I'll go get you a prescription for some Mylanta and I'll refill your parental vitamins," she said. I nodded my head while my eyes remained glued to the pictures of my developing baby. She smiled and patted Jamal on the back before exiting the room.

"Can I have one of those he asked. I looked up at him surprised before slowly nodding.

"Of course," I said. He nodded before looking away from me. I was happy that he was finally coming around, I just didn't want it to be so awkward when we were in each other's company. My day was going amazing and Jamal's change in mood, made it even better.

___________________________

"Can I get you anything else," the waitress asked once she had sat our food in front of us. I shrugged and shook my head.