Chapter 21- Farewell to Urbanwell

Chapter Twenty-One: Farewell to Urbanwell

The last time I was in the palace I felt like a King. Even though I was a generation below by title, I felt powerful, useful, untouchable. I felt like the only hope for the world, and like an expert spy, instrumental for the rebellion, even outsmarting the man in the seat of power.

But as I get dragged through the corridor trailing a streak of blood behind me i feel disheartened and guilty, like a criminal brought to the stand.

As we pass the small corridor leading to my room I'm glad my dearest possessions are with me to accompany my journey to the afterlife. Or to be simply sunk to the bottom of the well with me once my noose has been put to good use.

A couple of guards come to replace Kendrick and Xavier on either side and I recognize one of them as the cheerful guy from the morning who tried to talk to me about his family vacation to a theme park. I didn't even give him the time of day. I feel an immense amount of guilt sweep over my conscience, just like I do for the lives of those who fell today. Then more remorse as we stop by the doors to my parents' hallway, for saying I didn't care about my mother. For not spending time with her, and for not even having read that deplorable little book, one that would have revealed more about my dad. Garrett Rheya, or something like that. I wonder if he's even still alive, or if he even knew he had a son that fought so hard this summer to earn the right to live only to lose it before his time.

“And if you only knew where I came from this evening. That girl of yours is quite a tasty little treat!” Kendrick taunts as he finally hands me off.

I make after him in a weak attempt to fight for Genny's honour, but deep down I know he's just a sick asshole, trying to get me to my lowest point before I even get to the soul crushing encounter with Gershon.

Sadly the path between the place of my feeble last attempt to fight and the throne room is not very long, and for that reason I don't even bother to walk. I cast my eyes down and recount my evening, listening to the sound of my toes dragging on the floor. All of a sudden I get dropped and hear the slow patronizing “I'm going to have fun punishing you, boy” chuckle of my father coming from above me.

“What is so funny?” I ask through my gritted teeth as I slowly raise my eyes to his. Whatever the reflection is I can handle it. Or so I thought. Just as I'm about to stand again I see myself surrounded by the dead rebels. Those I personally failed to save lying lifeless right by my feet. The woman, Benvolio and Coulson, his little body swollen from the fill of the damnable water. And here I thought I was the one to go before I was meant to. How is fate fair?! Gershon wags his finger in a disapproving motion and I'm forced back to my knees. He leans back in his throne and sighs lazily.

“What do I do with you boy. You see my problem is...no matter how hard I try, no matter how many times you fail, you keep forgetting your mother fucking place!” He escalates his tone and ends with a hard slam of his fist on a table beside his seat as a grand finale.

“Maybe the problem is that where you think my place is is not where it should be!” I yell back, and the guards sway with discomfort, but Gershon waves them off, leaning forward with interest.

“Oh, and you think you are so important?”

“Yes...no...maybe not me, but there is something you should know.” If I'm to die, what is the point of keeping this secret any longer?

“And what's that, boy?” He scoffs, and I can tell my misery thoroughly amuses him.

“When mom died...she took the time of the earth with her. There was a prophecy. Three years will remain. You have to stop the destruction, you have to save whatever you can of nature, and the only chance for respect from your citizens is if you stop the discrimination. What's it to you anyway, you have a mental power too.”