Chapter 5- Goodbye Sweet Sixteen

Chapter Five – Goodbye Sweet Sixteen

Okay, so I got back a little later than I expected, but the party didn't start until 11:00, I was to turn 17 at midnight.

When I got back (at 9:30, it's hard to only stay at Denise for an hour) in a fair mood from a few drinks, I was invaded by the beauticians who have been waiting for hours to make me the most desirable version of myself for tonight.

After all is done and I look in the mirror in my kick ass suit and a pretty fantastic dark steel makeup combination, I feel quite confident to go and mingle with the cream of the crop.

Once I make my way to the black granite courtyard, blinding spotlights hit me and I hear the polite applause of the city's finest with loud woohooing coming from the side. Waving shyly, I make my way over towards the noise my friends had made and bump right into Genny. As always she looks lovely, topping her earlier look in a shimmering white dress with her black hair falling smoothly on her caramel coloured skin.

“Wow, you look beautiful!” I blurt out, finally having the nerve to say something – I think the two drinks helped.

“Thank you.” her eyes drop and a tight but graceful smile accepts my compliment.

“Here you go, Romeo.” Apollo comes over with a couple drinks that he hands off to us, dressed in white and gold, cliché, but absolutely perfect for his personality, not just his power. I really still can't see how he expects me to talk to her with him interrupting us constantly.

“Thanks.” I accept the purple liquid but give him a “must you be here” look.

“Came to wish you a Happy Birthday, man.” He pats me on the shoulder but his gaze is following a group of cougars that I'm certain he's trying to avoid. Alright, that is a legitimate reason for his interruption.

“Well, thank you for that too. Where's Adam?”

Apollo points to him on the dance floor, the strobe lights making his flame like makeup and the fire-esque design on his clothes come alive. He grabs an other shot off a passing tray and downs it. I can read from Apollo's worried expression that he'll be scooping Adam up from their doorstep in the morning.

“Anyway,” Apollo shakes his head “have you met my friend Ryder?” He ushers over some guy in a simple dark suit who looks vaguely familiar.

“Oh yeah, weren't you Tournament Champion a few years back?” I ask, somewhat interested but still following Genny's movements from the corner of my eye. She's talking to her mom, who is one of the head architects, looking quite upset as her mother tries to fix something on her dress which was fine to begin with.

“Nah, the highest position I've made was second place.” The guy with the messy brown hair and boyish smile continues, continuing to then list how far he made it each year he competed (he was one of Apollo's career Champion friends). Genny now looks like she's ready to cry and I'm torn between wanting to run off and help her and the vow that I made earlier about not hiding from the inescapable polite conversation that was my duty for tonight. She puts her cake down as her mother seems to gesture something about flattering postures and starts walking off. I wish to follow so badly, but at least I know that, for now, she's away from harm. I feel a sharp pain in my side from Apollo's elbow and, to my horror, I realize I've just been asked a question. Why do you keep doing this to yourself, Marcus?

“Pardon me?”

“I asked if you were looking forward to your Tournament?” Ryder says with genuine interest, then I feel a heavy weight on my shoulder and the smell of alcohol seems to give away that it's Adam trying to stand.