Chapter 20- We Get The King's Attention

Chapter Twenty – We Get The King's Attention

The apartment building door finally opens and Genesis Clayton walks through. At moments like these I constantly get reminded of how much I missed her! But the micro-vibration from my watch pulls me back to the harsh reality of having to focus on greater things than having a girlfriend.

“What's up Marcus?” She crosses her arms and stands back, keeping her distance. It is only the deep stare of her eyes reflecting the connection to my heart that still provides a glimmer of hope for us.

“Would it help if I started with an apology?” I pace from side to side nervously.

“Maybe.” She gives a little smile, but still wrinkling her nose, trying to appear resentful.

“You know you drive me crazy with that answer. As well as with that adorable look you have when you try to be mad.” I step closer and she gives me a weak shove to push me back.

“And you make me so angry when you do this. You come, you're all...wonderful...then you leave and I don't hear from you for weeks. What were you thinking? And I just found out about your mother. How do you think it made me feel that you still haven't told me? Who did you go to for comfort, huh? Who filled my space?” Her voice shakes more and more the further she gets in her inquisition and my heart breaks when I realize I hurt her so.

“Genesis, no.” I reach out and she melts back into my arms like so many times before. “There was no one else! I just didn't want to burden you with my mother's passing, especially when it was time for me to try and woo you back to me.”

“Marcus, that is so stupid.” She declares, “I would have understood, I could have helped...”

“It's not that Gen. I was feeling so inadequate. Of course the bullying at home got worse, and that high I was on when we last met didn't last long. And not only that, but when my mom passed a heap of responsibilities fell on my shoulders, and the last thing I could have handled was someone feeling sorry for me.”

She squeezes my arms and pulls back to look at me, her soft hand travelling up to meet my face. “You need to understand that your strength will always be something I'll admire, and wish to be able to have.”

I place a soft kiss on her fingers as they brush by my lips and mirror her caress with my hand on her cheek.

“And you need to understand that your inner strength is enough to surpass all the powers in the world. It is capable of anything. Even moving the earth.”

She gives a humble little laugh and our lips meet in their longing, deeply burning embrace. The passionate dream, wherein all time and space ceases to exist sends us on a marvellous journey I never wish to end, but it's rudely interrupted by a hollow darkness flickering around us.

I grab her tightly and my other hand instinctively travels to my weapon, but the shrill command for us to move coming from my sister Katsy quickly kills both the suspense and the romance.

The moment I can see at least a couple feet around me her wild, this time orange and brown hair identifies her unwanted persona immediately.

“Was that really necessary?” I ask, squinting as I get used to the street light once more.

“Of course darling, it was too much fun. Now move already, you're in my way.”

I'm still startled to see her around, but Genny tugs on my hand, pulling me aside.

“You know, most people just say excuse me.” I mutter after her as she opens the gate.

“Isn't that nice,” she calls back, “and most men grow to be tall enough so that their legs touch the ground.” She laughs a vociferous, annoying sound and with a vapid smile bids us goodnight.