Chapter Twenty: Getting Acquainted

Start from the beginning

"...they learn about God," I finished with a wry smile.

"That's true, of course," he said with another chuckle, "but what I was going to say was that it gives us the chance to show His love to others; to serve."

"That sounds wonderful," Ryou said.

"Isn't it?" he said, rubbing his hands together. "I love seeing the looks on the kids' faces when they're playing. I know that they're not going to understand all of this 'God stuff', but if we can be an example-"

"Can I help?" Kyou blurted.

He blinked, apparently surprised by the interruption. "W-Well...sure!" he replied. "I'm sorry; I didn't expect any of you to be interested. This is church stuff, after all."

"I d-don't mind," Kyou said as she looked up at him. "Y-You'll be working with kids, right? I'll be studying to work with kids, right? I-I want to help."

Ryou and I exchanged glances. I didn't know what she was thinking, but I was worried that Kyou didn't know what she was getting herself into. To like a guy was one thing, but this... "Kyou, are you sure about this? I mean, this is a church we're talking about. You'd probably have to help with Christian-type stuff...wouldn't she?" I directed that last bit to Pastor Ashton, who nodded.

"I'm here to spread the Good News, and the bible school is a means to do that," he acknowledged. "Miss Kyou, I'll understand if you want to back out; I have plenty of members responsible for this already, and-"

"I want to help," she declared.

"O-Onee-chan..."

"You'd better talk to your folks about this, first," I suggested. I had no idea what her parents would think of her helping out a temple, let alone a church, but as I far as I was concerned it was her choice.

"I will," she replied without hesitation.

***

In spite of the interruption we worked quickly enough that we had everything broken down by noon. We went to check in with the Student Council president.

"Get out of here," she ordered. "You two monsters have done enough."

"M-Monsters..." Ryou giggled.

The pastor looked at me with a concerned expression. "Did we do something wrong?"

"No," I replied with a chuckle; apparently he had simply misunderstood. "She's just telling us that we were a big help and that we don't have to help anymore." I looked to her. "You have people for putting stuff away, is that it?"

"That's right," she said, pushing a lock of hair over her ear. "You two more than made up for the missing council members, but now that they're all back we can take it from here."

"So we're fine," I told him. "Honestly, I think we'd be in their way at this point."

"Yeah. You would be," Tomoyo said bluntly. "But thanks for your help, Pastor...you too, Tomoya."

"I was glad to help, Sakagami-san," he replied with a slight bow.

"Me too," I said.

Her gaze lingered on me a little longer than I was comfortable with. "Well...have a good summer," she said before quickly turning on her heel and departing.

"Well, is anyone up for lunch?" Pastor Ashton asked as he turned to the three of us. "After all that work, I'm hungry!"

"Me!" Kyou yelled, raising her hand. "I've got money!"