13

"You're doing what after school?" Ashton almost choked on his grape.

"I'm going with Michael to get some pizza." I repeated. Calum's face mirrored the disbelief that was evident on Ashton's.

"Luke..."

"It's not that big of a deal." I stated.

"Stop getting close to him, Luke." Ashton told me.

"No. He hasn't given me a reason to. And he's actually a wonderful person." I defended Michael.

"You don't even know him!" Calum exclaimed.

"Neither do you guys. I know him more than both of you. He seems mean, but he's honestly so sweet. You guys are just being judgmental." I stated.

Ashton sighed.

"Luke, we've been going to school with him our whole lives. We know him. Trust me, we're trying to protect you. He's going to get close to you, make you fall for him, say he loves you, use you for a bit, and toss you to the side when you're not convenient for him anymore." He explained.

"You don't know that." I said. It was true. How could they possibly know anything about his motives? They didn't even talk to him!

"He's done it before." Ashton told me. I shrugged.

"I don't care what he's apparently done before. I'm going to be his friend." I retorted. They could get over it.

"Luke-"

"No, Ash, forget it. If he wants to be dumb enough to believe someone he barely knows over people that grew up with Mike, let him. Let him get hurt. But I don't want to hear it when he breaks your heart." Calum gave me a cold look.

"Fuck off." I mumbled.

I stood up and walked away. Ashton called for me to come back, but I ignored him.

I left the cafeteria and began to walk towards my next class. We still had twenty minutes left of lunch, but I'd rather be alone in the hallway than sit there and listen to them.

"Luke?" My name was called.

I looked up to see who it was, and was greeted with Michael.

"Hey." I smiled at him.

"Why aren't you at lunch?" He wondered.

"Um, there was kind of an, um, argument." I said.

He nodded.

"About what?"

"Don't worry about it, they're just being rude. Calum called me stupid." I shrugged.

"Calum Hood?" He asked. I nodded.

"I hate that kid." He sighed.

"He hates me." I chuckled.

"That's okay, he's probably just jealous to be honest." He shrugged it off.

"Jealous." I scoffed.

"Yes. Or he wants you. I mean, you're perfect."

"What?" His words shocked me.

"I, um, I- nothing." He stuttered.

I kept my eyes on the white tiled ground.

"I'm definitely far from perfect." I mumbled.