Carlos

Seven hours until Halloween

With classes cancelled for the day, Carlos, along with the other three, had stayed in Jane and Morgan's room, a safe haven from the madness outside. Mal was still trapped in the bathroom, raging as she failed to find a way to get out.
"It's here!" Morgan exclaimed as she entered, having used the last remaining hours of daylight to fetch a certain package.
"What's inside?" Carlos asked.
"Everything we'll need to defeat Demina" Morgan told him. "Preferably without losing too many others along the way."
"Yeah, yeah, yeah" Harry chided. "Will you get on with the opening?"
Carlos and Jane glared at him; Morgan opened her box, pulling out an old Nike gymbag.
"I must warn you two" Morgan said, looking at Harry and Carlos, "most of the items in here contain or are made of silver. Be careful not to touch."

She pulled a belt of several spherical glass bottles from the bag, holding it up.
"Jane" she instructed. "This is holy water. Use it wisely, as this is all that I have."
Jane nodded and put the belt over her shoulder.
"Henry" Morgan said, blinking a few times. "This is for you." She held up a stake - made of pure silver.
"Maybe you should take a nap" Carlos advised Morgan, who'd slept at most an hour the previous night.
"Yeah… okay" Morgan agreed while pushing the bag over to Carlos. She curled up, right there on the floor, and fell asleep. Carlos smiled and looked in the bag.
"Harry" he started by correcting Morgan's drowsy mistake, "that baton is definitely not for you. Uh… try these" he suggested while holding up three bottles of what looked like ink, until he read the labels. "Liquified silver. You can use this to-"
"I ain't stupid, de Vil" Harry scolded as he took the bottles.
"No comment" Carlos retaliated as he returned to the bag. "I think the baton is for Morgan, just like these fancy wooden silver things, so I'm not gonna touch those."
"I can take that" Jane said, taking the baton. She flicked her wrist, and the baton extended to a full three feet, the silver glinting as it reflected light from the bulb above. "It's not too heavy."
"You sure?" Carlos asked her.
"Totally" Jane assured him. "And besides. It looks like a wand. It feels like a wand. It's just way cooler."
Carlos couldn't help but smile. Marry me, he thought as he dumped the rest of the bag.

"I guess these are yours?" Jane thought aloud, picking up a pair of footlong brass rods.
"Guess so" Carlos muttered as he took them. Suddenly, while he played around with them, the ends of the rods stuck together, forming one long, solid brass rod in Carlos' hands.
"Woah" Jane commented. Carlos grinned like an idiot, until the silver spikes popped out of the ends of the long rod. At that point, Carlos screamed.
"I did not sign up for a heart attack!" Carlos commented as he hyperventilated. Jane giggled, and pulled the two rods apart. The spikes retreated when the rods were held together parallel, while she was handing them back to him.
"Thanks, I guess" Carlos said as he took them, pocketing them.

Six hours until Halloween

Morgan, by now, had woken up. Around her waist now sat a belt, not unlike one that might hold a pair of daggers, except strapped into the harness on the back of her waist was a pair of wooden stakes, each one capped and inlaid with silver. They were antiques, for sure, and Carlos made well and sure to stay away. Harry had "silvered", as he kept saying, his hook and sword, and was now busy applying war paint (his way of saying he had an obsession with guyliner). Jane and Carlos were seated by the window.
"Hey?" Jane nudged Carlos gently with his shoulder, prompting him to put an arm around her.
"Yeah?" Carlos responded.
"Don't be scared" she assured him. "I'll make it out."
"I know you will. I'm just… I can't help but worry."
"What about?"
"About this, about all of us. What if… what if we fail? What if you or Morgan get turned? What if-"
Jane silenced him by putting her lips against his. And it worked.
"Don't think about the what ifs" Jane advised. "Just… fight. Remember, the only one who has to die tonight is Demina."
"How are you so calm about all of it?" Carlos asked. "I know I've been in violent situations before, but nothing like this. I mean, I'm not even human, for crying out loud!"
"All honesty, babe, I'm not calm at all" she confessed. "Inside, I'm worried to the point that the only reason I haven't puked in the bathroom already is because Vampire Mal is in there. I'm scared because I may actually have to kill somebody, and the only one of us who's done that so far is Harry."
"If it helps" Morgan interjected, "they're not human, nor are they animal."

"You can't seriously be so willing to kill her" Carlos said in disbelief as Morgan took a seat next to Jane. "You, the girl who won't eat meat because she doesn't see a point in killing."
"To kill would imply that the victim was previously alive" Morgan explained. "Demina isn't alive. She's a vampire, they're not living beings. They're servants of Hell, demons who have escaped to do as they please."
"Is that why your mother stood up to her?" Jame asked.
Morgan nodded. "My mother may have been one of the most notoriously evil souls to have roamed this world, but she was far from fond of anything with Hellish origins. She trapped Demina on that island to force her to be among other monsters for all eternity."
"And then the King and Queen decided to make it a jail" Carlos added.
"An act which started the chain we currently find ourselves at the end of, yes" Morgan affirmed "But back to the ethical dillema at hand. I've exorcised demons before. Demons which have brought death upon innocent souls, and would have done far worse had I not slain them. It's why I inherited the magic that I did. I should have inherited my mother's affinity for the mystical arts, but instead I inherited her hatred for the unholy, and in doing so, allowed for Him to give me a divine gift. A gift which may prove to be Demina's fatal weakness."
"While that is equal parts awesome and confusing and terrifying" Carlos broke the brief silence following Morgan's monologue, "how does it apply to us?"
"She's not alive. There's no life to take from her, that's why she drains the life of the innocent" Morgan explained. "Sending her back from whence she came is the only way to free everybody else from her spell. Mal, Jay, Ben, Lonnie, Evie, all of them."
"This isn't helping me not want to kill her" Jane said.
"I don't want to, either" Morgan confessed. "I just know that it must be done. The three of us - well, plus Harry - are all that stands between Demina and the world. We are the only ones who can prevent the end of days."

"That's… motivating" Harry suddenly commented, having been eavesdropping on their conversation.
"Jesus!" Carlos yipped. They'd all jumped at his sudden speaking, which had made Harry laugh.
"What are you doing?" Carlos asked him.
"Getting some water" Harry responded. "The poison won't affect me, I've already been turned."
"Wait-!" Carlos, Morgan and Jane shouted in unison. When Harry opened the door, a small swarm of bats flew out past him, causing him to jump back by at least ten feet. The other three ducked for cover, expecting to be attacked, but the Mal bats paid them no attention, instead smashing through the window and flying out into the night.

"Harry!" Jane snapped as she stood up.
"Sorry, fellas" Harry said, still on his butt. "Forgot about her."
"Regardless" Carlos said while glaring at Harry, "why didn't she attack us? Why'd she… y'know… leave?"
"It's Demina" Morgan reasoned. "She's awake, and she's just called her minions to her."
Outside, bats were flying by the millions, a rather massive colony, all moving to the same cave.
"What the bloody hell does that mean for us?" Harry asked.
"We're running out of time!" Carlos exclaimed as he looked at his watch. "It's getting late, which means we need to move - like, now - if we want to stop this monster before Halloween."
"Let's go" Morgan said.