Morgan

Four days until Halloween

"Did you see the bats last night?" Jane asked as she and Morgan walked through the halls, heading towards their Paranormal Biology class.
"I could hear them" Morgan said. "There were, what, thousands?"
"Tens of thousands" Jane corrected. "The largest migration of them in over twenty years."
"How are you so good at Biology, yet you're failing this class?"
"I don't know!"
"I've offered to tutor you."
"I'm always busy, though!"
"

Either way, we're here."
Sure enough, they now stood in front of the door to room 291 - Auradon Prep's lone classroom for Paranormal Biology. They entered, and took their seats.

Today they were partnered with Carlos and Evie. Their assignment: they didn't even know. The teacher, Jackson B. Skellington, was known for being bad at explaining pretty much anything. Besides, half of the students were on their phones, Evie included.
"What's on your mind, Morgan?" Carlos asked. Morgan, who had become utterly lost in thought, snapped back to reality.
"Nothing, Carlos" she answered.
Carlos leaned in, such that only Jane could hear their conversation (Evie, at this point, had earbuds in). "You're thinking about the bats" Carlos said.
"I'm more thinking about why they'd stay on that island for so long" she countered. "And why they're migrating now, bat migrations don't usually occur until late November."
"Do you think…" Jane began. She didn't even need to finish the thought before Morgan got a chill down her spine.
"I can only pray that such a situation doesn't ever come to light" Morgan answered, fiddling with the partially burnt rosary around her neck. "If that is the case, though, and she truly is free… only His grace can save us now."
"Whose grace?" Carlos asked, confused. He still didn't understand the whole religion thing. Morgan just looked at him with an unamused face; she'd tried to explain her faith to him numerous times now.
"The grace of God, Carlos" Jane reminded him.
"Oh" he said.
"Are we supposed to be studying, or what?" Jane asked, changing the subject.
"Skellington's asleep again" Carlos noticed. "Which generally means yes."
Carlos played around on a laptop for the rest of class, while Morgan helped Jane study for a test coming up in two classes.

That night, Jane had a date with Carlos, so Morgan found herself alone at the altar of Saint Esmeralda's Cathedral, a church less than four blocks away from Auradon Prep. Sitting in a pew, her head was down, her hands clasped around her rosary.
"Lord, O Heavenly Father" she began a prayer. "I fear that a monster, a minion of Satan himself, has been sent to bring harm to this holy place. I do not ask you to solve this issue, for I know you always have a plan. I only ask that you give me the strength to play my part in your divine solution. Amen."
Just as she opened her eyes, her prayer finished, the doors of the church opened. It's a Tuesday night, Morgan thought to herself. Confused, she turned around, and found herself staring at the one face she didn't expect.

"My, my, what a lovely place this is" Demina said as she looked around, her eyes resting on Morgan. "Who are you and why should I care?"
Morgan's eyes went wide, and she instinctively stepped back. Her hand had a tight grip on her rosary.
"Begone, monster!" Morgan cried, unable to think of anything else to say. "There is no place in this world for you!"
"But that's where you are wrong, holy child. This world is my place, and I've been out of it for far too long."
"You belong in the corner of Hell from whence you came!"
"I've spent far too long a time in one place. And I'm not about to be put back by the likes of one virtuous soul such as yourself."

With a flick of her wrist, a group of bats flew into Morgan, knocking her back into a pew. She stood up, only for the bats to hit her again. And again. And again. For Morgan, this was a symphony of pain, and Demina was the conductor. After about five minutes, Morgan was able to pick up a Bible and throw it. Demina hissed loudly when the holy text made contact with her skin, and her concentration was officially broken. Morgan regained her footing, a drop of blood running down the side of her face. She was holding up her rosary, which was glowing with a white aura.
"I will repeat" Morgan said as she approached Demina, who stepped away from the rosary. "Begone."
"You truly are a stubborn one, child" Demina mocked. The standstill was broken when the bats threw Morgan across the worship hall. She knocked her head against the altar, and then slumped over, unconscious, her memory already fading away.