Back to California

Few months later Scott, Kirstie and Mitch were on a plane back to California.
Avi and Kevin would meet them there, since they all had spent the past couple of months with their family, talking to each other almost every day on Skype, trying to arrange some new stuff.
They hadn't put much together because they knew there will be different themes for each episode but they didn't know which one would they be so they had spent more time trying to figure that out than the time they had spent actually arranging.
Most of the time they ended up talking about completely different stuff, joking and laughing.
It was ok, though, since they felt kinda confident.
Their group was on the show and this was already more than they had hoped for so, whatever happened from that point on would still be a blessing.
-Kirstie, do you need any help with that suitcase? -Scott asked as soon as they get off the plane.
She shook her head and smiled.
-I'm fine, but Mitchie seems like he could use an extra hand-she said, pointing at the youngest member of the trio, whom was struggling with a suitcase almost bigger than him.
-You are right, I'll go and help my damsel in distress-
The girl laughed and started to walk to the exit of the airport, without waiting for her friends.
Avi had promised to collect them and Kevin from the airport since he was the only one who wasn't coming by plane and she hoped to have few seconds alone with him.
They had texted all the time since he had left Texas, but Kirstie missed the real thing.
She couldn't believe how fast and how much she was attached to the guy even if they had spent together only few weeks.
What she felt for him was different from all the other things she had ever felt in her life and she wasn't ready to admit that to anyone else, that was why she was glad to see no one on the passenger seat of the old car next to which Avi was standing, smiling at her.
They starred at each other for few seconds that seemed to last forever, then Kirstie started to run towards him, without even noticing it.
It was just few meters, but she managed to stumble and she would had fallen if Avi hadn't catch her.
-Typical me-She said, blushing, but Avi smiled and helped her on her feet without saying a word.
Then he took her suitcase and went to help Scott and Mitch that had appeared in the meantime.
Kirstie sighed, they had one last brief moment alone and she had waisted like that.
Kevin's plane arrived just few moments after theirs so in less than half an hour they were all reunited.
It felt like they hadn't seen each other for ages even if it was just a couple of months. They were so happy to be all together that they spent the entire car ride singing and talking about what they had done in the time they were apart.
Avi left the car in the parking of the hotel where the production had placed all the contestant and, when they entered the building, they noticed that the lobby was already full of people trying to understand where they were supposed to go.
Scott walked to the reception desk and told their names to a young girl who smiled widely when she met his handsome blue eyes.
-You are the members of "Pentatonix" right? -she asked, checking a sheet of paper.
-In the flesh-
-We were waiting for you, you are the last one-
-Sorry, our plane was late-
-Don't worry, it's no problem, it's just that the producer had to talk to you and had told me not to give anyone the key to the rooms until everyone was there. I'll just have to tell them that we are ready now-
The girl disappeared in a small door behind the desk and Scott went back to his friends.
-She was totally trying to flirt with you-Kevin said almost laughing.
-I'm sorry for her then-Scott replied with half a smile.
-Why? You are handsome, I would hit on you if I were into men-
-Well, you see, she didn't really have much of a chance-
-Why? Ok, she was bad at flirting but she was pretty as well-Kevin asked perplexed.
-I mean, we have to stay in this hotel for a good while I hope, it would be nice to have "someone", if you know what I mean-
-Yes, I know what you mean but..... -
Scott looked at Mitch, whom was definitely waiting for him to say something, he was expecting him to say the right thing even if he knew how hard this was for him.
The blond exchanged a glance with his friend and Mitch knew exactly what he was thinking.
-Scott and I are gay Kev, I'm sorry-
While they were on Texas they had talked a lot about whether it was necessary to tell everyone about their sexual orientation, especially when Kevin had told them how religious he was.
Homosexuality and Catholicism had never gone well together in their experience, but Mitch had come out to everyone in his life a couple of years before and didn't want to keep his sexuality hidden again, not from Kevin, not from anyone else.
The two friends had the closest thing to a fight they ever had about this.
"I'm tired to lock myself in a closet and I know you are tired too Scotty" Mitch had told him last time they had discussed the matter.
"I know and I am but we can't afford to lose Kevin support just know, it just about keeping it for ourselves until the end of the show"
"And what happen when the show is over? Do you really think that will be the end of it? Do you think we want to keep singing together or at least be friends? And what do you think is going to happen when he will find out? Because is smart and he will find out. And anyway, sooner or later we will have to tell and how do you think he would feel then?"
"Why are you worrying about that? He will probably cast us out of his life anyway"
"See, I don't think he will. I think he cares about us and I think he will be shocked at first maybe, but I'm sure he will be ok with it eventually."
"I'm not saying it won't, just that I'm not sure if he will and how long would it take to him to accept it. We need him to be ok with us now"
"So we just have to pretend to be someone we are not?"
"Mitch, you are exaggerating now"
"Look Scott, I'm not going to come back in the closet, not even for you, I'm sorry, if the subject will come up I will answer truthfully but I will promise to avoid it as long as I can, if that will make you feel better"
Mitch hadn't given Scott the time to reply and they never spoke about it again.
The young boy had kept his word, trying to avoid speaking about love in anyway, but now it was the moment and Scott knew it.
Kevin's eyes travelled from one boy to the other and then back for a couple of times, then he smiled.
-Why are you sorry? This means more girls for Avi and me, right brother? -he said, putting an arm around the bass' shoulders.
-I suppose so-he replied.
-A bit of enthusiasm won't hurt, bro, you know? -
Avi laugh along with everybody else.
-We know that Avi is not "on the hunt" if you know what I mean Kev-Mitch said glancing at Kirstie and making the bass blush.
-You are right Mitch, and anyway we are not here for this. We have to be concentrated and win this competition! -
They all nodded and Scott was about to say something but they got interrupted by a voice in the speakers that asked them to go to the main conference room of the hotel.
The judges and Nick Lachey were there, as well as other people they didn't recognize, whom explained briefly how things were going to work.
-This year we have 6 groups more than the previous seasons, so we decided to split you in two groups-Ben started to explain.
-The first group will perform next week, the second the following one. After few episodes, when there will be just 10 of you left the two groups will be put together. Is everything clear? -
None answered but a lot of heads nodded.
-Perfect, now Nick, would you please read the names of the groups that will be in the first leg? -
Nick took a sheet of paper from his left pocket and started to read.
-Right. If the groups that I' m going to call will please move on the left side of the room it will be much appreciated....So, let's begin. In the first leg we have "The yellow jackets"-
A big group of people, slightly less than 20 moved to the far left of the room.
-Then we have the "Fanning family", "Afro Blue"-
Another 2 groups of approximately 10 people joined the Yellow jackets.
- "Delilah". Hey girls, nice to see you again-he added, smiling to the bunch of ladies that started to move.
-The "Delilah" are a group made of people who had already tried the show last season. They come from different groups but have decided to try together this time-Scott explained to his friends whom had looked perplexed when Nick had acted like he knew the ladies.
-"Urban Method", "The Cat's Pajamas", "Kinfolk 9" and "Vocal Point"-
Half of the remaining groups joined the ones that had already been called.
-The rest of you are in the second leg of course-
-We got lucky-Mitch whispered-We will have one more week to prepare our song for the first episode-
-I know that most of you think that is unfair to give one more week to the groups in the second leg, but you must remember that the second leg will have one less week to prepare their song when the two legs will be reunited and the competition will be at his highest so.....
You both will have one week more than the other leg at some point. We have studied it well-Sara said, noticing how the groups that had been called didn't seem really happy, while the others were cheerful.
-You were saying Mitchie? -Kirstie asked, half laughing looking at the terrified face of her friend.
-We are screwed-he replied plainly.
-Don't feel under pressure. We could be eliminated way before the reunion of the legs-Avi said with a smirk.
-Thanks dad, that makes me feel sooooo much better-
-Easy with the sarcasm, little one-
-You two, stop to behave like children and shut your mouth if you want to know which is the theme for the first song-Kirstie scolded them.
-Now, I know that what you really want to know now is which song are you supposed to perform-Shawn was saying-Since it's the first performance, we want you to introduce yourself to the public in the best way possible so that everyone can know your true potential.-
-This means-Ben continued-That we won't chose which song or theme you are supposed to perform. Everyone can sing whatever they think suits the group best-
Smiles appeared on everyone faces and Avi and Scott started to breathe again.
-This is good news for you but it's also a great responsibility. Remember that you will not be allowed to blame anyone if the song choice doesn't work in your favour and, since this is your presentation, the impression that you make today is fundamental to determine the fate of your journey on this show-
-But no pressure, right Ben? -Sara asked the man, putting an arm on his shoulder.
-Don't listen to this guy. He is right about the fact that the first impression you make it's fundamental, but don't let this pressure you too much. What you have to show with your choice is how your voices fit together, why did you make it in to this show and why you are supposed to win, because I suppose you are here for this, right? -
-Now, I supposed you all want to settle in your rooms and relax a little. Some of you have come here from the other side of the country so I understand that you are tired. We will let you rest now. Our dear Caroline, that you have all met at the reception desk before, will tell you what room are you in-added then, pointing her finger to the young girl in the corner of the room, the same one that was flirting with Scott before, that smiled timidly.
Everyone started to move towards the girl, that handed them their keys.
Scott and the others let everyone go first and, only when most of the people were already out of the room, went to ask for their keys.
-Look guys, we actually didn't have a room that we could give to Kirstin alone and neither we had one left that could fit all 4 of you guys so we have thought that 3 of you can sleep in one room and 2 in the other, I hope is not a problem-Caroline said as soon as she saw them approaching.
-No problem at all, Mitch, Scott and I have shared rooms for as long as we know each other so we are really used to that. I've kinda missed to sleep so close to them, so it's more than fine-Kirstie replied with a wide smile.
-It will be like all times Scooter-she added, looking at the blond.
-A sleepover that will last at least 2 weeks! Sounds fun! -Mitch exclaimed making everyone laugh.
-I glad you are ok with your accommodation, these are the keys. I'm going to be downstairs if you need anything-Caroline said, handing them the last 2 set of keys.
The rooms were on the top floor, one next to the other.
-It's a pity the rooms are not communicating-Kirstie said, putting her stuff on one of the beds, while Scott was struggling to bring Mitch's suitcase inside.
-They are so close that is like they are and, anyway, I think that the only time we won't spend with Avi and Kevin is when we sleep, but if you want to sleep with your beloved we can host Kevin in our room-the brunette replied with a nasty smile.
-Mitch! -both of his friends shouted.
-What? Is not like I don't know that you and bassman have texted each other constantly the entire summer. Don't deny it. I know the password of your phone, I've seen them-
-Wait, you and Avi what??-Scott was really so surprised he dropped Mitch suitcase.
-Ehi, careful there! You cannot be that shocked, really-
-Well, I'm actually am. Not that you two are texting but that you didn't tell us. I mean, I thought you would tell us if you liked Avi-
Kirstie blushed and looked away.
-It's not like I don't trust you guys or anything, it's just.....You want me to give a label to a relationship, a feeling that doesn't have one. Even now you are asking me that and I can't tell you what it is. And anyway, is not a big deal, they are just stupid texts and you would have mocked both of us for forever about it. I mean, I'm used to it and I know that you are just fooling around, but Avi doesn't know you this well and I didn't want anything to change between us-
Scott sat next to her.
-I'm sorry. I'm sorry you felt like you could tell us and you couldn't ask us for advice. We have been the worst friends ever-
-No, you have not-
-Yes, we have-Mitch said, sitting next to her other side and taking her hand.
-And I promise I won't say another word about you two, but I really think you have to understand what's going on-
-I know that I have to bring our relationship to a normal friendship now that the show is starting, but I don't know how long is going to take me-
-You got Mitch wrong sweety. Ok, the show is starting and you are in a group together, but we are not asking for you to be just friends if this is not what you feel it should be-
-What do you mean Scott? -
-I mean.... I don't want to mess up with your confused feelings Kirst-
-Just say it-
-Ok, from what I can see, there is something more than simple friendship between you two, otherwise you would have told us about the texts and everything without thinking twice. And I don't think you should give up on trying something different with him just because we are in the same group. No one wants that and I won't be able to forgive myself if you lost the chance of a relationship with Avi just for this reason, especially since he is the kind of guy I've always hoped you end up with. He is just perfect for you, and you are for him, just....-
Scott sighed and then looked straight into her eyes.
-Just don't mess with his feeling, ok? I love you and I will always be on your side no matter what, but he is a sensitive guy and I'm starting to love him as well. I don't know him well enough to say this for sure, but I really think he is falling for you pretty hard so don't give him false hopes, just that-
-No pressure, eh Scotty? -Mitch scolded him.
-Don't listen to this boring guy. Do what your heart tells you to do and it's going to be just fine-
-But he is right-she said, putting her arms around her knees.
-That is why I didn't say anything for the entire summer. I've tried to chase away the feeling that what we have is special. Then I tried to convince myself that is just a special friendship but something doesn't sound right. How can I get so close to someone so soon? Why did I feel a connection between us the moment I saw him even if I was terrified by him? -
-Wait, you were terrified by Avi? Why? He is like the sweetest guy ever! -Scott asked.
-Well, you were always talking about him, about how good, talented and hard-working he was and how his arrangements were amazing and so on and so forth. I feel intimidated. I thought he will hate me because I don't know nothing about music, I don't play any instrument and I can't read a music sheet. I thought he was replacing me, that you were starting to love him more than me and that once you would have to choose between us you would had chosen him-
-This is the greatest amount of bullshit I've ever heard and I'm sorry I made you think that, but we will talk about this later. One problem at a time.
Do you feel something for him? -
She nodded.
-Does it look like what you felt for your last boyfriend, what was his name? -
-Matt-Mitch replied, coming to his aid.
-Matt, right. Do the feelings you have for Avi look like the ones you had for Matt? -
-Stronger-she whispered.
-Ok, stronger, but are they similar? -
-Not really but it doesn't tell anything-
-Why? -
-'Cause I've never loved Matt-
-Easy with the big words girl-Mitch exclaimed, releasing her hand.
-I know. I don't know. It's just......Why must everything be so confused? -
-Because this is the real life and things are never simple-the brunette replied
-Look, you don't have to take a decision about it tonight or on any other day if you don't feel sure about it. Take your time. I'm pretty sure that things will play themselves out. If you and Avi are meant to be together you will end up together, and I bet it will be way before the end of our time n this show. We are going to live pretty much together for weeks. Your feelings would show even if you would try to avoid it, my only advice is to act accordingly to them and not to pretend like they are not there, all right? -
Kirstie nodded.
-Now that we have sort this out, I think that we should call the boys and have a little meeting, we have to decide what to sing and what to do tonight-
-Ok, I'm going to tell them-Mitch said, exiting the room.
-And I'm going to take a shower, I really need it-Kirstie said, rubbing her already red eyes.
-Be quick girl-Scott shouted to her while she started to run the water.
Half an hour later she stepped out of the bathroom and found all the boys sitting on the beds, Mitch and Scott on the blond's one and Avi and Kevin on hers, laughing.
-What's so funny? -she asked.
-Nothing really, these two here-Avi said, patting a spot next to him and pointing at her old friends,
-Were telling us some tales of their high school times-
-And I'm in it? -
-Well, in some of them-
-In the funniest ones-Scott added, -You have always been the one to make the poorest figures-
-Thanks Scooter, always so kind-she replied, giving him a flaming look.
-Just honest sweety-
-Don't worry Kirstie, they haven't said anything bad about you-Avi tried to reassure her.
-I appreciate your kindness Avi but I know them-
-Ok, but they haven't said anything bad, only some funny anecdote-
She shook her head and smiled, letting them know she was ok with whatever they have said while she was in the shower.
-Ok, now that we are all here, we can talk about what we are going to sing in the first episode since during the summer we weren't able to produce nothing that we can use know.
We have to start from scratch so we might as well do it with a song that represent us-Scott said, once everyone stopped to laugh.
-Do you have any idea on which song could it be? -Kevin asked.
-Well, not really. We have just started to know each other and to sing together so it's hard to say what represent us because it's hard to figure it out what are we-
-Could not have said better-Mitch agreed.
-Right, but we have to choose a song and, since you are right about us getting to know each other and our sound, we have to work more than everyone else-Avi replied.
-No pressure then, dad-
-Is it your new catch phrase, Mitch? Is like the tenth time you said it since we arrived-Scott asked half laughing.
-I think it's going to be since we have been here for a couple of hours and we have already been put under pressure for something by everyone, our group mates included-
-Don't put myself into this-Kevin protested.
-Ok, except from Kerv, he is like the most relaxed person ever-
-I'm just confide in God. If you really think that he has a plan for you, you would still have to do your best to reach your goal but He would guide you and everything will play out as it supposed to be. Knowing this you don't feel the pressure, you just put effort into what matters and let Him do the rest-
-Why do I have the feeling that this is turning into a sermon? Did anybody tell you that you will be a perfect priest? -Mitch asked.
-Someone actually did-
-I knew it-
-Ok, guys, can we go back to the point? -
-Ok Scooter, we were saying..... But we have done something this summer tough-Mitch said, remembering something.
-What? -
-Well, we were half way through E.T. if I remember correctly-
-Yes, and we never finished because something didn't sound right-
-We can give it another try since we are all together, maybe this time we will figure it out what is that is not working-Avi proposed.
-Well, I don't have anything against giving it another try. I love the song-Kirstie said, smiling.
-Me neither. If it still won't work we could still change song-Kevin agreed.
-Let's do it like this. Tomorrow we will try to make E.T. work but each of us must show up with a song to propose in case it still won't sound right, ok? -
Everyone nodded.
-We could.... -Avi started to say, but Scott stopped him.
-Whatever you are about to proposing, I've already said that we will think about the performance tomorrow-
-I was actually about to proposed you something about tonight-
-Why, are you planning to do something tonight? Aren't you tired? -Kirstie asked him yawning.
-I was, but maybe you are right. We should rest. Tomorrow will be a long day-
-So is it a goodnight? -Mitch asked with puppy eyes.
-Well, it doesn't have to be-Scott replied -Maybe we could watch a movie together. I've got a couple of nice one on my computer-
-Seems a nice idea, are you down for it Kev? -Avi asked to the black boy, whom nodded.
-And you Kirst? Are you fine with that? I totally get if you want to sleep-
-No, I like the idea-
-It's decided then. We just have to pick movie! -exclaimed Scott, excited.
Mitch and Kevin jumped on Scott's laptop, discussion which movie would have been the perfect choice, while Avi and Scott put two of the beds together and took their places on Kirstie's sides.
After some minutes, the other two joined them with the laptop.
Kirstie's eyes felt so heavy that she felt truly hard to keep them open and every time she closed them, her head fell a little, waking her.
-You can rest your head on my shoulder if you want-Avi whispered in her ear, making sure no one else heard him.
-I don't want to fell asleep-
-You don't look like you can avoid it and no one would notice it anyway. You are tired, you should rest-
She smiled and put her head on his shoulder.
-Thanks, Avi-
-My pleasure-he replied, playing with a lock of her hairs.
She fell asleep in less than 5 minutes and the bass spent most of the time making sure she was comfortable and warm enough and he found very hard to focus on the movie rather than on her, so he was relieved were the closing title started to show.
-Now it's really time to go-Kevin said, yawing.
-We'll see each other at breakfast-Scott added.
-What time? -Mitch asked.
-I don't know. What time should we go downstairs Avi? -Kevin asked, but the bass was too focused on tucking Kirstie in her bed.
-We lost him for good-Mitch whispered to the other two, analysing the way Avi was looking at his asleep friend.
-Avi? -Kevin repeated, when the girl was under her blanket.
-Yes? -
-Did you hear what we were saying? -
-Tomorrow, breakfast together. At what time should we be downstairs? -
-We were asking you Avi! -Scott replied laughing.
-Oh, right, you were asking me. Sorry I'm so tired I can even think straight. What about 8:30? -
-It's early but I suppose we should start to work so it's fine, you Mitch? -Scott asked the brunette, whom nodded.
-Then see you tomorrow-Kevin said, walking out of the door with Avi right behind him.

Notes:

I'm so so sorry.
I took me forever to write this chapter.
First I had to make the most of my last weeks at work and then uni started again, and thi all prevented me from sitting on teh computer forcing me to write something, that is actually the only way to fight the writer's block.
Anyway, I know I had promised Sing-Off stuff, but the chapter was getting too long so I had to split it.
I hope you liked anyway!

Any suggestion or comments about the story itself or any possible mistakes I had made and you think I can fix would be much apreciated.