Rehearsal

-Kevin and I have been working a bit on the rhythmic section of the songs these past days and I think we came up with something that can work very nicely-Avi said, sipping the coffee Mitch had handed to him earlier in the car.
They had just arrived at Scott's place and were already started to rehearse since they had less than a day to make the pieces they were going to sing as perfect as they could.
-Let's see how it sounds then. Which song should we start with? -the blond asked, bringing few bottles of water from the kitchen.
-What about "Rolling in the deep"? -Kirstie proposed.
She had been obsessed with the song for a while and couldn't get it out of her head so she really wanted to know if they could do it justice.
-Fine, Scott, when you are ready just start, we will follow-
The blond looked around for a second, then took a deep breath and started....

"There's a fire starting in my heart
Reaching a fever pitch
It's bringing me out the dark
Finally, I can see you crystal clear"

Avi and Kevin looked at each other and joined him, followed by Kirstie and Mitch.
They went on with the song, without stopping, without messing up the lyrics, without getting anything wrong.
When the song was over they all looked at each other astonished.
They would had never expected everything to fit together so perfectly.
-Did I just hear what I heard? -Mitch asked after few seconds of silence, saying what everyone was thinking.
-This is......magical-Kirstie replied.
-A true gift from God-Kevin added.
-Let's try "Telephone". Let's see if it was a miracle or if we really sound so good-Avi said.
-Typical Avi, always wanting to work more! -Scott replied laughing. -But you are right, let's try that-
This time he looked just to Kirstie and Mitch.
They had arranged that song the previous year for that contest that they didn't win, luck was never on their side in this kind of stuff, and then they had performed in front of the entire school.
It was the song that made them realize they could do something good together.
It was the song that brought them to this point.

"Pam pam pam pam
Pam pam pam pam
Pam pam"

He started to sing, then Mitch joined and, straight after Kirstie started to sing the first verses while Avi and Kevin did the rhythmic part of the song.
When the song was over they all were even more astonished than before.
-You know what? I really think we have a chance! -Mitch exclaimed.
-Of course we have Mitchie!!!-Scott jumped from his place on the couch.-And now, since it's lunch time, who is up for some food?-
-I'm always up for food-replied Avi, with a wide smile on his face.
He had spent so much time on this "project" that seeing how everything seemed to work perfectly made him so happy and help him to relax a little.
Everything was still to be decided, they didn't pass the audition yet, but he had a nice feeling about it.
They ordered few pizzas and ate sitting in circle on the floor, talking about everything they could think about, just to get to know each other a little more but, as soon as everyone was done with their pizza, they started to practice again.
They wanted the songs to be more than perfect so they didn't stop singing until it was too late to keep practicing without annoying the neighbours.
They all slept in Scott's living room, where they had spent the entire day.
Well, not everyone was asleep.
Avi couldn't stop thinking about the next day, so he spent most of the night starring at the ceiling.
Around 4 in the morning he decided that he had enough.
He got up, trying not to step on anyone on his way and went to the kitchen.
He sat there, with a glass of water and a blank page of his copy in front of him, thinking about how to write down his feeling, until he felt someone's hand on his shoulder.
He turned and saw Kirstie smiling at him, with her eyes still half closed.
-You should be sleeping-she said softly.
-What about you? -
-I'm not the one suffering from sleep deprivation-
-But you look really sleepy. Did I wake you? -he asked, suddenly worried.
She smiled and sat next to him.
-You didn't, or at least I don't think you did. I'm just having trouble no thinking about tomorrow and that doesn't help to stay asleep-
-I understand-
-But I think we are going to do fine, don't you think? -
-Our sound is pretty rock&roll so I think we will do great and, even if things shouldn't go as planned, we can still say that we did our best-
-Then why can't you sleep? -
He didn't have an answer.
He loved to sleep but, with his anxiety problems, sleepless nights were not so rare. Usually when he felt his anxiety taking control of his mind and body he ran to Esther. She always knew what to do but she was so many miles away......
-You don't want to talk about it, I get it-she said, seeing that he wasn't about to answer her question. -It's ok if you don't trust me with your secrets, I mean, we have only known each other for something like a week-
-It's not about trust-he tried to explain. Last thing he wanted was to hurt her.
-Look, I'm not offended nor anything. I just want you to know that if you ever need to talk about.....whatever you want, I'm here-
-I know you are-he replied, smiling.
-So, what were you doing Mr. Bassman? -she asked, changing the subject.
-I was trying to write something but it's definitely not working-he said, showing her the page, still blank.
-Words have their funny way of showing up so you can't look for them, you just wait for them to come your way. Maybe today is just not the day-
-I know, I was just tired of starring at the ceiling. I felt like I needed to do something-
-I get it but, you said it yourself, it's not working so why don't you come back and try to sleep a little? We are going to need you in your best shape tomorrow-
-Kirstie, I appreciate what are you trying to do, but it's pointless. I've been trying to sleep for hours and hours and I know that it's just not going to happen-
She sighed.
-Looks like you have been here before-
-Trouble sleeping? You have no idea-
-And what do you do in these cases? -
-Go to my sister, snuggle next to her, like when we were kids. Pathetic, I know, but it usually helps-
-It's not pathetic Avi. I think it's sweet-
-That is another way to say that I'm pathetic. I'm a grown up, I should be able to deal with this stuff without her, but the point is that I can't-
-Look, you're not pathetic. I'm serious. And if snuggle next to her makes you feel better and sleep.....-she stooped for a second thinking if she should kept saying what just came to her mid.
Avi's eyes were fixed on her and she felt so awkward, but decided to keep talking.
-If it makes you feel better I can be your sister for tonight. You could snuggle next to me. I wouldn't mind at all, on the contrary, I like cuddling so.... If you ever need to snuggle next to someone, I'm always up to it-she blurted out, without looking at him.
Her cheeks were burning red, just like Avi's.
-What would Scott say? -he asked after a while.
-Do you really care? -
-Not that much actually-
-Are you going to come in the living room with me then? -
-Yes, just......I don't want you to be my sister. I would love to sleep next to Kirstie-
She smiled.
-What would Scott say? -she repeated what he said, with a smirk on her face.
-Do you really care? -
-Not that much actually-
-Then let's go. It's late and I'm starting to feel really tired-
They got quickly under the cover and immediately Kirstie's head was resting just under his shoulder, her fist closed on his chest.
-Good night Mr. Bassman-she said, her eyes already closed.
-Good night America-he whispered back, putting his arms around her and suddenly falling asleep.

Notes:

This is probably the worst chapter I wrote.
It was supposed to end at the audition, but it was getting to long so I split it so now the chapter is very short.
Next one will be the audition, I promise, and from there things will start to move a bit faster.