[19]

Song of the chapter: Mama by Kiss Daniel.

...

One year ago

...

New Jersey, USA

...

Ava checked her phone for what seemed like the hundredth time and her sister rolled her eyes.

"Why do you keep on checking your phone? I've been talking to you about the party I have planned for a while now and the only response I've gotten is a grunt." Anna whined, playfully glaring at her sister.

Ava opened her mouth to speak but Anna interrupted her with a gasp, her eyes opening in realisation.

"Toki didn't call you today!" She half shouted, pointing a finger triumphantly.
"He did actually. He called me today, earlier in the morning. He sang for me in English and his native language and did this funny looking dance. It was hilarious." She replied with a laugh, a distant glint in her eyes.

"But?" Anna urged her.

"But he said he's too busy today so we can't spend my birthday together and he promised to make it up to me." Ava sighed.

"And now you're checking your phone every second to see whether he suddenly changed his mind and is planning a romantic getaway for you where you guys have a picnic under the stars and do mushy mushy stuff huh? And you'll be all 'Oh Toki! My love for you is greater than the stars in the sky,' and then he'll say, 'Oh Ava, you're prettier than nature and it's beauties,' then you guys would kiss and stuff huh?" Anna teased with a playful smile.

"Something like that, with less sarcasm and exaggeration." Ava retorted, rolling her eyes.

"Puh-lease! I've read your chats, you guys are so corny." Anna said.

"We aren't, wait...you read my chats!" Ava frowned, folding her arms while Anna gave a nervous chuckle.

"Moving on my dearest, most beautiful sister." Anna laughed forcefully.

"Well," Ava continued, making a mental note to change the pass code to her phone, "not everyone has a love less and boyfriend-less life like you do Anna."

"Hey!" Anna pouted, feigning hurt. "I happen to like my single life, thank you very much! Besides, not everyone is privileged to find the love of their lives so early, and not every one is lucky enough to get hot and sophisticated African men to fall in love with them." Anna whined, causing Ava to roll her eyes.

"If you say so." Ava said, not pushing the topic any further.

They sat in thoughtful silence for a while, Ava changing the pass code of her phone, and Anna deep in thought.

"When do you think he's going to pop the question?" Anna suddenly asked, causing Ava to look up quickly.

"I don't know actually." Ava said after a while. "Sometimes I wonder if he actually would ask me to marry him. We hardly talk about the future, only the present."

"Well maybe because you don't bring it up so he's afraid of asking; he probably thinks you're not ready for that step or something." Anna shrugged, tapping busily on her phone.

"Well I'm ready to do anything with him... any sensible thing that is. And marriage is a beautiful thing, and I would love to-"

"Yeah yeah whatever, no one wants to know all that stuff. If he asks you, would you say yes?" Anna interrupted her with a dismissive wave of the hand.

"Well yes! Wait, why are you asking?" Ava asked.

"Just curious. And I don't think I want you to leave yet." Anna said quietly.