Slave To Love ~ 12

Start from the beginning

As she reaches the corner of the surgical ward going to Miguel's common room, a resident doctor walked pass her. He was almost running down the hallway. Catherine frowned, wondering what was wrong. Then she heard the nurse named Reggie informed the doctor hastily, 'This is his third arrest this month'.

Catherine saw that another nurse was pulling the emergency crash cart hurriedly and pushing it towards the ward area, where Miguel is located.

'Wait! Reggie, what's happening?!', she asked nervously. But Reggie was already out of sight.

Catherine run as fast as she could in order for her to reach Miguel's room quickly.

'Oh my Lord, please not now', Catherine told herself, breathing shakily. As more medical staff went inside the surgical ward area.

Her knees buckled, her eyes widened and she gasped when she saw that the medical team was performing CPR on her brother. He arrested. The consistent flat line on the cardiac monitor was the proof of that.

Miguel was also hooked to a ventilator. That means, he was intubated when she wasn't around. Atleast 10 intravenous infusions are running through his vein now. Catherine was in total shock.

Oh God, what happened last night?

Reaching her right arm as she walked dumbfoundedly towards Miguel's bed, she tried to call out his name but to no avail. She lost her voice.

Catherine was devastated, confusion registered on her face, still clutching her purse on her chest as she witness how the medical workers are trying their best to revive her ailing brother.

She didn't even noticed as Edna, who was also crying, wrapped her arms around her to collect her and ushered her to stand in the far corner of the room, so that they won't disturb the medical workers as they do their tasks.

Catherine's anguished was too strong, that everything became a blur to her. The scenario was like a slow motion movie to her. She was like in a foggy trance. The voices of the head doctor giving instructions to the nurses' became mute to her ears. She can only hear the ceaseless alarms of the cardiac monitor.

Catherine cried, volume of tears streaming down on her pale cheeks. She fell on the floor unknowingly, embracing herself as she saw the doctor shook his head. They have been performing CPR for almost an hour now to no avail. Miguel's frail body can't take it anymore. Unfortunately, he succumbed to his illness. His deteriorating state was too severe for them to bring him back to life.

'I'm so sorry, Miss Messa', Dr. Rafael said, his sullen face registered to her dejected state. He is the head consultant of the ward station.

Catherine's lips quivered, her face awashed with dried tears. She nodded and she slowly went to her brother.

Some of the code blue staff left the room unnoticedly to her. Only Reggie and Pam, another nurse, stayed with them, as Dr. Rafael gave his orders for after care. They turned off all the machines then quietly left the room afterwards to give her privacy to say her goodbye.

'M-Miguel?,' she called out his name. As if trying to wake him up.

'Migs? please wake up. I'm here now. See? I brought the money for your operation'. She showed her purse. Her purse where you can find the prize of her one night of hard work.

'Catcat did her best to save you. Please come back, please...' she continued.

Fresh, huge tears cascading her face.

'Please don't leave me alone, please', Catherine pleaded repeatedly.

'Please come back to me, please Miguel', she sobbed hysterically.
'Don't leave me alone, please Migs! Migs! please, I'm begging you...',

Catherine's anguished echoed in that deafening silence of the room.

Edna placed her hands on her shoulders as Catherine caressed her little brother's face with shaking hands. Crying silently, grieving for the loss of a childhood friend, too.

That even the medical staff who were waiting patiently outside at the nurse's station can't help themselves and cried as they heard Catherine begging her brother's lifeless body to come back. All of them knew Catherine's sacrifices and devotion to her brother.

A little brother she loved and took care of as if he was her own.

***

'Mama?', Tyler's voice brought her back to reality.
His cute little face filled with worry.

'Y-yes Ty?', Catherine asked, trying to concentrate on the present and forget the past. That unforgettable day slowly fading away from her mind.

'Look!', Ty showed her his big lego T-Rex.

'Oh, good job! Ah, you are so smart my love', she laughed as she assessed his creativity.
'Just like mama. Hmm...', Catherine hugged him so tight and smelled his baby smell through his clothes.

Ty giggled and wrapped his arms around his mama's neck.
In return, she showered him with kisses on his neck that made him giggle and squirm at the same time. Ty's neck is his weak tickle spot.

After awhile they both kept quiet but still embracing each other. Ty senses that something's bothering his Mama, so he stayed there, thinking that he must protect his Mama from the monster that's trying to get her.
However, he can't help himself so he asked her something that was gnawing on his mind for quiet sometime now.

'Mama?', Ty asked shyly.

'Yes baby?'

'Am I smart like him to?', Ty asked quietly, frowning as he lifted his face to stare at Catherine's face.

'Him? Who?', Catherine asked. Her heart suddenly treaded in a rapid pace.

'My Dad. D-do I look like him?', Ty stared at his mama pleadingly. Hoping this time she will answer his questions.

Catherine was lost for words. She was taken aback by his questions.

Of course, even Tyler can see how his physical appearance differ from his own mother.

After awhile, Tyler's lower lip started to quiver as he witnessed his Mom's still state and eyes widened in surprise didn't disappear.

'I'm s-sorry', he sobbed, as realization sets in. Knowing now that the monster that was bothering his Mama must be the father that he never met.

'Oh Ty, it's okay. There's nothing for you to say sorry about. Don't cry baby. Mama's here and Mama loves you so much', Catherine hugged him tighter.

'Mama loves you more than anyone in the whole world', Catherine vehemently stated.

'Anyone in the world but him. Aaron', her mind continued.

Rocking Ty in her arms, she closed her eyes, trying her best not to break down infront of him.

Learning that as much as she tried her best to keep her problems away from Ty, her son isn't immune to them. These constant negative emotions are not only affecting her, but also her son as well.

She needs to deal with her troubles as soon as possible. She needs to bring back the safe sanctuary that she already provided Tyler.

Catherine needs to face him, if Aaron comes.

She must be ready at all cost.

She knows that their meeting is inevitable and unavoidable.

When will that be? She doesn't know, but her gut feeling is telling her, that he's already near.

It's like that she can perceive his manly presence even though he's far from her.

Just like the way his vision haunts her everytime, in every breath she takes.