Ch. 56

Dueling with Tom was like breathing to me.

It was fun to throw non-harmful spells, and witty comments when we almost got hit. I lost count of what was happening around me.

After a while of wordlessly throwing spells and hexes at each other, Tom and I decided to help practice everyone's Occlumency skills.

Every one of them were hesitant to even try, even Bellatrix.

The only one cocky enough to even consider doing it, was of course, Sirius Black, which amused Tom and I to no end.

"I suggest that each one of you practice this skill, it is crucial that we all practice occlumency, even Tom and I. I can't exactly say if there will be someone but I can guarantee that if there is, it will most likely be Nikolai. I believe he may know legilimency, not only that but he has been toying with a certain gift I have." I said, explaining my reasoning.

"How exactly will we be practicing this— skill?" James asked, caution written all over his face.

"Well, seeing as Tom and I have that specific set of skills, and are particularly more advanced in this specific subject, we will be the ones practicing this, with two of you at a time, of course. Make sure that you clear your minds, any opponent that you could have can end up toying with your mind. If you let them in, they'll break down your mind in a matter of seconds, your worst fears willing become the reality before you." I said, watching for his reaction. I wasn't disappointed, he flinched back slightly, pulling Lily behind him.

I briefly wondered if he was getting any closer to proposing to Lily, knowing him it would maybe happen sometime after graduation. Just before we had to battle with Nikolai. I snapped out of it quickly, shaking my head to clear it.

I noticed then that Tom, who stood next to me, had his eyes trained towards the back of the crowd.

I didn't have to have the telepathic link we shared opened to know who his first victim would be.

Sure enough, towards the back of the room stood Sirius, with a cocky smirk plastered on his face.

"Have we made ourselves clear? Great. Now moving on. Any volunteers?" I asked, raising an eyebrow as everyone in the room took a step back simultaneously.

In that instant I felt fear, curiosity, determination coming from around the room.

I blinked twice before shaking my head in amusement.

Before I replaced the amused expression with an expressionless one and squared my shoulders before I began scanning the room to look at my choices.

"Black, you. Yes you, step up." Tom said, pointing towards the back.

I watched as an overconfident Sirius Black strolled to the front, arrogantly.

"Alright then. Dolohov." I called, inclining my head to the side in a 'get your arse over here' way.

I watched as he hesitantly stepped out of the crowd, slowly making his way towards where Tom and I, along with Sirius waited.

"My Lady?" He asked, hesitantly.

"Dolohov, I will be going into your mind. I want you..., to try to keep me out of it. Push me out of your mind." I said, watching as he nodded in response.

"Is this absolutely necessary?" Abraxas asked, hesitantly, from the far-left corner of the big hall.

"It is unless you would like to have your mind invaded." I retorted, looking towards Tom.

"It's optional. We are just strongly advising you all to do this. You don't have to do it, though, but it'll be like going in blindly into this war." Tom added, pursing his lips in while holding his arms behind him.