Chapter 46 (II)

Haris raised his head. His face was swallowed badly like he'd been punched multiple times, his left eye bruised and his lower lip cut badly. His eyes widened when they landed on Anissa.

"Ai-Ainnie?" He stammered in disbelief.

"Lai wa! (Bring him in!)" Shehryaar ordered loudly in Sikhali.

Another door opened and two bulky men brought in a beaten and battered Zameer as he was seated in a chair. He looked defeated as he eyed Shehryaar.

"Saeen, aasi nai kiwa. Ussa jaanwi dai. (Boss, you don't have to do this. Let her go)." He tried to reason with Shehryaar but Shehryaar was shooting daggers his way and imnediately stride towards Zameer and pounded his fist hard on Zameer's jaw. He winced and coughed out blood. He was already beaten so badly.

"You don't get a fucking say tonight, peasant!" Shehryaar sneered in low growl. Zameer knew that Shehryaar had set a line then and there is couldn't dare to cross it.

Even at his last moments, his couldn't bring himself to disrespect Shehryaar. He was already remorseful for betraying him but he didn't regret it. He sighed and raised his head.

Anissa paled as Shehryaar made his way towards her and pulled out his gun from the holster tied to his left thigh. She hadn't noticed it before.

She was certain that he was about to shoot her so she closed her eyes and waited.

Death was better.

She would be relieved of all the misery and suffering that life was constantly throwing at her.

And strangely enough, she wasn't afraid to embrace death this time. Rather she welcomed it with open arms.

Shehryaar stood behind her so that his chest was glued to her back. His strong scent wafted in her nostrils when she felt his close proximity. She didn't dare open her eyes as she waited patiently for him to pull the trigger.

However, you don't always get what you want.

Shehryaar pulled her wrist up. Anissa was surprised when he placed the cold handle of the gun on her palm.

She looked up her shoulder and met his smouldering grey eyes.

They shone with an evil intent.

So much malice and viciousness that it caused the marrow in her bones to chill.

And before she could react.

Theee shots were fired from her other side.

And the loud screams coming from Haris jolt her mind into awareness.

Anissa looked and screamed when she saw that Haris was shot. Blood seeping out of his left thigh at the exact location of his femoral artery. The other two shots were fired directly into both his lungs.

His mouth gargled in blood as he coughed.

"Now," Shehryaar turned to her, as he gripped her shoulders. "You have only one shot. Fire it at Zameer and kill him. Failed to do so Anissa and ten next bullet will be between his eyes." Shehryaar stayed coldly, his gun aimed directly at Haris's head.

Anissa felt like her world tilted then and there.

She prayed that the ground would open up and swallow her whole.

Her blood was cold, chills crawled in her skin. Her heart sank in the pit of her stomach.

At her right was her cousin, the man who was her brother in very sense of the word. He had looked after her when her own biological brothers failed.