Chapter 40

HERE'S TO CELEBRATE 40 CHAPTERS ON WATTPAD :) THANK U SO MUCH FOR ALL THE SUPPORT AND LOVE <3 KEEP LOVING AND SUPPORTING MI :)

INSHAA ALLAH, I'LL BE ENTERING MI IN THE WATTYS2018 SO PLEASE, TILL THEN, LOVE AND SUPPORT AND PROMOTE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN :)

**********

Zameer flinched in his place when a blood curdling scream erupted from the door behind him.

He clenched his teeth together and fisted his hands. For the past one week, he had been witnessing this.

Shehryaar stationed him to protect and keep an eye on Anissa.

This was the seventh day she woke up screaming. She had refused to eat and drink so she had to be kept on IV fluids and a urine bag. The family doctor was assigned to her.

And because Anissa was being too violent, she had to be restraint and chained to the bed.

Zameer hated himself for this. He felt responsible: he knew he could have prevented this from happening but he just had to follow through with his boss's orders. His loyalty towards his Saeen was more importnat to him, he had thought that once but now he was seriously beginning to doubt it.

His conscience was making him feel so remorseful. No doubt Zameer was a cold blooded killer and was no better then Shehryaar in any aspect but he had his limits. And he had crossed those limits.

Ever since that day, he couldn't sleep one bit: Anissa's pleas and her tear stained face haunted him.

'Bhai!'

Her screams echoed in his head. She had called out to him but he couldn't help her. He felt so useless. He felt so cowardly. He saw her as a little sister yet he failed her. He failed to protect to her.

'Zameer, always keep her safe.'

He had promised Shahzeb that he would always protect Anissa as soon as she became a Ghulari.

She was his to protect yet he failed.

He failed Shahzeb and worst of all, he failed Anissa.

He had no idea how he was ever going to forgive himself for it. Or more like, how was he ever going to ask for Anissa's forgiveness knowing fully well that she didn't deserve it.

He had a hand in her situation.

He had claimed so many lives and carried out his Saeen's orders without any hesitation and he enjoyed it. He felt accomplished when Shehryaar would give him a mission. Nothing else mattered as long as his Saeen was satisfied. And all in all, he had never had any attacks of conscience: not even when he killed innocent women and children. He didn't fear God or the consequences of this actions then, then what was making him suffer so much out of guilt now?

The answer was simple.

He had promised Shahzeb that he would always protect Anissa.

When Anissa became Shehryaar's wife, he had sworn to himself as well as his Saeen that he would protect her with his life.

Yet he broke his word: he couldn't protect her or save her and as a result, she was suffering now.

**********

Anissa woke up screaming again. She panted and tried to catch her breath.

Nightmares.

This was for the nth time she was woken up with them haunting her.

She couldn't recall how long it had been since she had been unconscious but she had been slipping in and out of unconsciousness only to be woken up by nightmares.