thirteen. fun doesn't hurt

i didn't edit this and it was produced in under an hour. have fun with it? it was more of a filler to create more of a character for theo and amy (and rhoni, who isn't too significant, just cool as fuck). jordan was an add that i might have an idea for, but i'm not too sure yet. we'll see what happens. 

i also don't really know who i'm thinking did the drug thing. it was a great idea from a reader that i'm doing a terrible job at projecting, and for that, i'm sorry my dude. thanks for all the reads, friends. they're going up fast and i love it. the recent updates are weird and i don't know why i'm suddenly so productive and inspired to write, but i am, so ig that's a plus for some of the more excited readers? 

thanks again, and have fun with this messy filler.

- - - - 

The days following the night Jango and I had talked were boring. We were allowed some clothes from our bags that had been 'checked' and cleaned. Everyone in our group was excited to change out of the terrible oversized clothing we'd had for three days. 

There was still no sign of Emerson. It was obviously wearing on the counsellors as well as Carlos and Chrissie. It was wearing on us all, but I noticed the two of them were more affected than we were. Carlos I'd expected to be upset. But Chrissie being so upset - as much as Carlos, even - was a surprise. 

We'd all been separated, being added into other cabin groups every day. Today was more of a free-for-all kind of day, but we weren't allowed to hang out together. Carlos, Roami and Zaila were supposed to stay with Laura so she could keep an eye on them. I had no idea what they thought they could do without their things, but she was pretty adamant about them not being left alone. 

I went to the Pit with Theo, Amy, Rhoni and a boy named Jordan. Jordan was from Theo's cabin the first night, but had apparently been changed the next day, being put with Jeremy's group. He was quiet at first, seeming worried to be around us. Before long, though, he was having fun and being open. 

It was hard to forget about the shit happening in camp for long, but there were breaks here and there where I found myself laughing and actually enjoying myself. We hung around the Pit mostly because there wasn't anything else we could all think to do. Eventually, after having sat around for a while and seen both Jeremy and Adam's groups, Amy had the idea to go to the forest. It was right behind the fire pit. 

"Why didn't we think of that sooner?" Theo asked, standing up excitedly. Amy mimicked his excitement, holding her hands out for Rhoni. She laughed, silently showing she could stand up without her help. Amy rolled her eyes, telling her she knew she could stand, but that she was still able to offer help. 

I stuck close to Theo, feeling most comfortable around him. As we walked in, Jordan walking in front with an enthusiastic Amy and a quiet Rhoni, I hooked my arm around Theo's. He smiled at me, making a dorky face. I didn't know if his intention was to make me laugh, but it worked. 

"See? You can have some fun. It'll be alright if you laugh a little and enjoy yourself," he commented. 

I stuck my tongue out. "I know that. I just don't feel right having fun, is all," I said, my voice gradually growing smaller as I spoke. Theo slowed so there was more space between Amy, Jordan, Rhoni and us. 

"Why's that?" 

"Why should I have fun if my group isn't? They're all waiting to go home early and get killed by their families. Besides, we still haven't found Emerson," I listed off, looking down at my feet. Theo snaked his arm out of mine, pulling it instead around my shoulders. I leaned against him eagerly, accepting the gesture with figuratively open arms.