Chapter 13 - Hello, Little Sister

Frisk's POV:

I awoke with a gasp, hissing in pain when my shoulder screamed at me to stop moving, but I instinctively reached up to touch it. To my surprise, it was wrapped up, and I traced my fingers over the article, learning the pattern, the thread count, my mind no longer functioning the way it used to. I was entranced by the intricacy of the simple fabric that it was, feeling the dips, groves, and twists. It mimicked my thoughts, twisting and tangling in chaotic order as I thought over what happened before.

There were flashes of blood...glimpses of screams...quick mercies for those who earned it...

Laughter bubbled up in my throat in delight at my actions, at Sans' actions. I turned my head to look around, taking in my surroundings as I tried to figure out where I was. To my surprise, I immediately recognized where I was, taking in the fact that there was trash and disheveled clothing all over the floor and a poorly made picture frame still sitting on the dresser. I was in the cabin house. Why was I in the cabin house? Had Sans taken me here? Did he put me in this bed? Why would he do that?

Can't have my favorite weapon being found out about now, can we?

I grinned at that thought. Weapon? Was that what I was to him? I certainly didn't mind. I was something to somebody. I meant something to him whether it was twisted or not.

"He's done more damage to you than I thought." 

I froze. I knew that voice, recognizing it even after years of not hearing it except in old home movies that Mom and Dad had. I turned to find a familiar face watching me from the corner. My eyes widened when I saw her as I sat up quickly, too quickly as pain shot through my shoulder, and I grit my teeth as I called, "Chara?"

"Well, it's good to know you're not too far gone to remember who I am."

"Why wouldn't I remember who you are?" I asked as I swung my legs over the side of the bed, looking down to see the dressing that was wrapped around my injured shoulder. I caught movement at the top of my vision as Chara came over to me, her transparent figure taking silent steps across the wooden floor. I looked up at her, tilting my head as I took her in. She was just like I remembered: arms crossed and a slight frown on her face. She did not looked pleased with me in the slightest as she replied, "I know what you did."

"What about it?" I asked nonchalantly, a small smile curling the ends of my mouth as I remembered the feel of the knife in my hand and the blood running through my fingers. I hummed softly as I recalled the way the light faded from their eyes as their life did from their bodies. I had brought them peace, and it brought me satisfaction. My purpose was this, to bring mercy to others who deserved it. Why couldn't she see that?

"You're a murderer. Coldhearted and insane."

"And what are you, hm? Why did you come back down here after you took Asriel's body home?" I asked, a challenging grin plastered to my face as I stood up, matching her now that I was the age she was when she died. Her brow furrowed together into a scowl, but she didn't answer, so instead I decided to figure out the answer for myself. "You were angry, weren't you? Angry and upset that someone had taken away your dear brother. You wanted to take it out on somebody, didn't you? You came back to murder the monsters that lived here."

"But I never actually killed anyone now, did I?"

"You didn't get the chance to. Sans stopped you before you could."

"And then he did this to you..." She motioned to me from top to bottom, a face full of almost disgust. "Tell me, did you know that he killed all of the monsters here first? He killed them well before I got the chance to."

My eyes lit up with childish delight like when a little kid is given a surprise present as I replied, "So he showed them mercy, then? Mercy you never would have given them."

I turned from her, heading towards the closed bedroom door to go find my maniac, but she grabbed my arm and growled, "Face it, Frisk. You're a murderer. What do you think you're doing to them? Giving them mercy? What kind of mercy is that?"

I didn't turn to look at her, but instead, yanked my arm free from her ghostly grasp, smiling sadly to myself as I stared at the bloody door handle and replied, "Mercy that I want for myself and thought I once deserved...but I don't deserve it...so I give it."

She seemed shocked by my answer, standing there mouth slightly ajar as she allowed me to open the door and leave the room. I closed it behind me, ignoring as her transparent figure faded away. I heard a soft distant conversation, but as I walked to the banister and overlooked the living room, I found that it was only the TV as it shone multicolored light across the walls, casting shadows of different lengths as the scenes on it changed. I watched the dancing colors, humming myself as I crept closer to the stairs and made my way down, tracing the shapes and shadows on the walls as I did.

I heard a deep chuckle from behind me, and when I turned, I once again saw those red and blue eyes that once haunted me from the darkness outside my bedroom window, but now the gazed from the shadows of what I was pretty sure was the kitchen, if I remembered correctly from when I saw it in the day time. But instead of being afraid, my brain spiraled with glee as I turned towards him, caught in the spell of my new mentor. His eyes examined me, a smirk plastered to his face as he reached out to tap my injured shoulder. My jaw clenched, and my grin turned down slightly as I grabbed his wrist and pushed his hand away.

"Feeling feisty, are we?" Sans asked, his voice cool and controlled as his head lowered, allowing his hood to obscure his face again, just like in my nightmares. His smile was deceptive because his posture gave away his violence as he twisted his hand around to snatch up my wrist, turning and slamming it into the wall, pinning me there. I gave a cry of alarm, but there was still no fear in my voice. What was I to be afraid of? If he were to kill me, it would be a kind mercy to my broken soul and shattered mind.

"You're no longer afraid of me," he mused, his eyes staring into mine, directly into my soul, but it was hollow and twisted, like his. All he would be looking at was a mirror. Mine was just quicker at being fatal. I arched an eyebrow at him as I smiled and hummed, "Why would I be? You wouldn't hurt your favorite weapon, would you?"

Sans chuckled and leaned back, but he didn't release me as he replied, "Toys are meant to be played with and broken, little Mercy. Don't play a game you don't plan on winning."

"I play to win, bonehead," I growled right back, my smile twisting upwards into a grin, my golden eyes alight with determined fire and purpose. He honestly seemed impressed by my boldness. "And I will take down these pawns one merciful step at a time."