Chapter 5 - The Start of Hers

Her mind was confused because as much as she dreaded the setting of the sun, her heart quickened and her brain hungered for the adrenaline. She kept herself awake at night to avoid the nightmares, but her brain screamed at her in exhaustion and starvation, having become almost dependent on the fear, the panic that she experienced on a daily basis. She refused to give in though, refusing to give up that last bit of sanity that she had, clinging to it like the thread of life. For all she knew, that little piece of twine was the only thing keeping her from falling to her death, spiraling out of control and giving in to the murderous hands of a skeleton. It was funny really, the man who itched to kill her being a skeleton. How perfect was that? Her own grim reaper...Wait her grim reaper? What made him hers? Nothing, that's what.

She had managed to escape the prison that was her school to her now without getting mixed up with Betty and her goons, much to her relief. She had things to do, things planned, and if she were to get them done before dark, she had to hurry. The sun hung in the sky like her guardian angel, keeping her safe from the maniac that stalked the woods at night. She had no idea if he stayed out there during the day, but since she had never even seen him during the day, let alone been attacked by him, she figured that she wouldn't have to worry about him. Maybe he was out pillaging and murdering somewhere else. The shattered portion of her mind twitched in almost jealousy at that thought as if craving his bloodthirsty attention.

Frisk scoffed at herself, tugging her sister's old green jacket around her to shield from a chill wind. Fall had just started, and it was perfect. It was her favorite season when the ungodly heat of summer eased up, and the leaves changed to beautiful colors, but the unforgiving grip of winter had yet to get a firm grip. Perfect...

Turning sharply away from the road, she headed straight into the woods, not quite sure what she was looking for, but determined to find something, anything that could tell her more about the man in the woods. She had to move quickly, though, or she would run out of time and have a very large target on her back. She wouldn't survive the night out in the open.

After about an hour of finding absolutely fucking nothing, she turned for home, angry and hateful at her own shortcomings. She wasted her time searching with nothing to show for it except clothes covered with little drops of black sap and shoes filled with annoying debris. She kicked a rock that was unfortunate enough to lay in her path, listening with satisfaction as it tumbled and fell down a small gulley. The sound suddenly stopped, however, which immediately caught her attention as she wandered over to the last place she saw the little metamorphic creation. Just as she reached the spot, she heard the rock clatter as it hit something of matching hardness.

Peering down, she was surprised to find an opening to what looked like a deep hole that actually had a ladder propped against the edge, leading down into the depths. Convenient ladder is convenient...but was she crazy enough to go down that ladder? For all she knew, it wouldn't be able to hold her weight and would collapse the moment she fully put herself on it, trapping her down there to die at the hands of a crazy maniac or by the hands of starvation...or dehydration. Whichever one found her first.

She tilted her head, that alarm that should be telling her to steer clear and to just walk away staying silent as she crouched by the hole entrance. She examined the condition of the ladder to find that it did, in fact, look stable, strong enough to at least hold her. With one last glance up at the sun, her faithful guardian that always came back with each day, she figured that she was crazy enough to find out where this led. So with a flip of her hood so it covered her head, she zipped up the hoodie so it wouldn't get caught on anything and began the perilously short journey down the groaning wooden ladder.