Chapter 9 - Mercy

They found her collapsed on the ground, wrapped in green and red with tears streaming down her face, but she didn't move when they said her name or touched her. They knew something was wrong. They just didn't know what it was. They didn't know a lot of things. They didn't know what demons she had running around her head. They didn't know why she hadn't come home nor why she was out this late on the ground within sight of home. Her mother and father looked at each other in worry and distress as her father stooped down to pick her up, carrying her back home as he cradled her close to his chest. He didn't want to lose another child. He couldn't lose another one...even if that meant giving her away. He just hoped they could help her.

"I'm not crazy," she lied as she crossed her arms and curled her knees to her chest, turning to look out the window rather than at her parents. Their eyes were sad, and the way they looked at her...she didn't like it. The pity that they showed her. She hated it. She was so tired of it, so tired of all of this. She just wanted to claw her eyes out so she wouldn't see it and rip her ears off so she couldn't hear it. Everything was driving her nuts, sending her spiraling out of control, but she didn't show it, her body still like it always was. She continued to stare off into the forest, wanting to leave and walk out into the forest and never come back.

Her parents sighed, deciding not to press on it any more that day as they stood and left her alone. She would be going to the facility whether she liked it or not. They didn't like it, but it was for her own good.

That last sliver had slipped from her grip the night before, and she grinned the moment the door closed behind them, knowing she had fooled them into seeing just a broken little girl. She was broken alright, but it was a fact that no longer bothered her, and what a relief it was. She stood up and went over to her desk, pulling out her sketchbook and her colored pencils and charcoal as she set to work, passing the time by drawing a familiar subject. Two glowing red orbs, one with a blue center, a center that always drew her attention. Then there was the purple flames and mist that danced from the blue and red eye, flickering magic that enticed her to come dance in the fire and let it burn away her troublesome life.

Oh how she wanted to dance in the fire...how she wanted to give in to the ecstasy of insanity...maybe she should just say "fuck it" and dance like twirling fabric, the beauty of life.

So that's exactly what she did.

She waited for it to become night, standing on the porch as the sun set. Her eyes were closed, dismissing and ignoring her guardian as she willingly shed its protective glow and welcomed the wonderfully cold embrace of the moonlight. She opened her eyes and looked up, smiling up at her new overseer. She wondered that if she were to die tonight, would it accept the commitment and watch over her for the rest of her life?

Humming along to the song in her head, she quickly stepped down off the porch and made her way into the forest without a second thought or a backwards glance. There was no fear left in her, having left that at home. All she had now was a backpack with her sketchbook and some charcoal in it. Of course she had on her sister's green and yellow jacket and that vibrant red scarf wrapped around her neck, both of which being too big of her, a fact she quite enjoyed.

She didn't need to walk very far before she heard him, a deep chuckle resonating through the trees, "Well, hello, little Mercy. I didn't expect to see you out and about two nights in a row. How lucky am I?"

She turned to face him as he walked up to her, his hands in his pockets as he eyed her up and down. He noticed the backpack as he pulled at the strap and asked, "You goin' somewhere? Or are you going back to steal more things from me?" That last part was a challenge as if he were daring her to try it again.

"Actually, there is something I need from you."

"Oh? And what is that?" Sans asked, not knowing how surprised he would be when she said what she said next.

"I want you to show me how to give mercy."