Chapter Eleven: WE MEET A GIANT

We arrived at the park without seeing a single monster, which is rare for New York, and I climbed the tallest tree that I could find. I climbed to the top and surveyed the land around me. I didn't see any giants nearby at all. I was about to climb down when I heard a loud thudding noise coming from behind me.

I was about to turn around, but before I could, something grabbed the tree I was in and knocked it down. It landed with a huge thud. Luckily for me, I had been in the center of the tree, not near the edges.

I untangled myself from the branches and crawled out from under the tree. I grabbed my dagger and ran in the direction of the yelling. I didn't have to go very far. As soon as I was just about three feet away from the tree, I almost got stepped on by a giant. I jumped out of the way just as a foot covered with snakes came down hard on where I had once been standing.

I switched my dagger for my bow. Natasha was kind of freaked out and was swinging her sword randomly around the giant. She hit him in the back of the leg and he, Polybotes, yelled angrily and gripped his huge calf muscle.

It was definitely Polybotes, the giant I had been searching for. He was about thirty feet tall, he had scaly reptilian legs from the waist down, and blue-green armor from the waist up. He had a human face, wild green hair, and every time he turned his head from side to side, snakes fell out of his dreadlocks. Polybotes was definitely not the picture of perfection.

He swung his trident back and forth, almost hitting Leo and Nico in their chests. I shot an arrow towards the back of his knee, hoping to make him fall over. It didn't work very well.

"A child of Poseidon!! I will kill you for what your brother did to me!! You came here only to find your death!!" Polybotes bellowed. He swung his trident towards me. I ducked, missing the trident by inches. He growled at me before shaking his head side to side violently. Three basilisks dropped out of his hair. Gross.

I looked at the basilisks. They were like super poisonous snakes. All the grass that they touched withered up and some of the grass even started to burn. They were beautiful shades of green with pale yellow eyes. I wonder what the mortals are seeing right now.

A basilisk slithered towards me slowly, despite basilisks being remarkably fast. Polybotes was attacking Nico, who dodged the trident every time Polybotes swung it. Natasha and Leo were both dealing with the other two basilisks, and my basilisk kept eyeing me as if I were lunch.

I traded my bow for my sword, Hudor, Greek for "water", and swung it in front of me a couple of times in an attempt to discourage the basilisk. It didn't work very well.

My basilisk lunged at me, killing the grass as it went. I made an attempt to stab it with Hudor, but stopped myself, remembering that a basilisk's skin was like acid. I jumped out of the way as the basilisk lunged towards me.

I didn't really remember how to kill a basilisk. I hadn't fought one since I quit being a Hunter a couple years ago. My chain of thoughts was ruined by a sound that was halfway between a scream and a yell. I glanced over to the direction the sound had come from. I saw Nico fly back and slam hard into a tree. Polybotes looked happy. He stepped towards Nico, who was grasping his side with both of his hands, and pointed the tip of his trident at Nico.

I forgot about the basilisk that was trying to kill me. "Nico!!" I screamed. I started running towards him as fast as I could. I had to protect him.

"You will be the first to die, son of Hades!" Polybotes raised his trident and Nico let out a gutteral scream. A huge crack appeared beneath the giant's feet and a hand made out of bones reached out of the crack and grabbed Polybotes, pulling him into the ground. Polybotes had disappeared. Nico slouched forward and I caught him before he fell on his face. The three basilisks had disappeared and Natasha and Leo were coming over to help me and Nico.

I laid Nico down on his back and pulled up his shirt. I hope wouldn't find out that I had done this, because he would probably hate me for the rest of his life. I saw a huge scratch along his left abdomen. I grabbed my backpack and started digging through it in search of cloth and ambrosia. I know that this fact is unnecessary, but he had a six pack, pretty good for someone that is only fifteen.

By then, Leo and Natasha had appeared at my side. Natasha, liking Nico and all that, knelt down beside me and started blaming it all on me.

"It's your fault that he got hurt! If you hadn't lead us here, none of this would have happened!" Natasha started brushing his hair and cradling his head in her lap. I glanced at Leo and saw him rolling his eyes and shaking his head. I almost felt bad for Leo. He had to deal with two girls that hated each other and both liked the same guy. Actually, I did feel bad for him.