chapter fifteen

March 11, 2013

"You dilated six centimeters Ms. Lewis, four more to go and you'll be able to push."

I screamed. "Get this out of me now! Momma!" I laid back on the hospital bed, I was in so much pain. This little boy couldn't come fast enough.

"We'll have to keep her over night Ms. Lewis, we can't risk her going into labor at home."

Mom nodded and ran her fingers through my hair. "Okay, that's fine Dr. Derwin."

She nodded. "I'll come back in about thirty minutes. If you need any assistance prior Nurse Anna can help you."

Mom nodded again and watched until she left. She kissed my forehead. "How are you doing sweetie?"

I groaned. "It hurts so much."

"I know baby, but you just have to relax."

I nodded. "Where's Adam and Sam?"

"Samuel is on the plane, he'll be landing soon. Adam will be here later, it's finals week you know?"

"Oh yes, I forgot about..." I felt a sharp pain in my side and took in a breath.

She rubbed my forehead and kissed my hand. "I know sweetie, just relax."

Once the pain went away I groaned. "God why didn't I be more careful."

She chuckled softly. "Things happen my sweet, you know I was pregnant with your brother at sixteen. It was hard but I got through it. Once Reid is born, all the things that you're going through, have gone through will vanish when you see his face. Pure love is all you'll be feeling."

I smiled up at her. "Thanks mom. I really needed to hear that."

She smiled down at me and continued to stroke my hair. "Of course pumpkin. I love you dear."

"I love you too."

June 7, 2016

"Come on now Reid don't touch that." I grabbed my three year old and pulled him to the side. "Baby if you're going to play with the other kids you can't go around touching stuff okay?"

He nodded. "Okay mommy."

I kissed his cheek. "Okay baby, go play." I watched as he walked over to his friends and sat on the park bench. My phone rang and I picked it up with out looking. "Jessica Lewis speaking."

"Hello Ms. Lewis."

I smiled. "Hi."

"You look so lonely. Would you like some company?"

I laughed. "What are you doing here creep? I thought you had to be at the office all day or something."

"I left early to go get some food. I do what I want Jessica, I am the CEO after all."

I hummed. "Where are you anyway?"

"To your right."

I looked to my right and hung up. He was walking towards me in his business attire. I tried not to stare too hard. Take things slow Jess.

He smiled once he reached me and sat down beside me. "Hey Jessie." He slung his arm around me and pulled me close.

My heart warmed and I returned his smile. Slow. I moved away from him and stood up. "Hey Rod." I looked back to where Reid was playing and saw him giggling and throwing dirt around. I groaned. "He's going to get a rash playing in all that dirt."

Rodney stood up beside me, looked towards where Reid was and laughed. "He's having fun."

"I know but I don't want our baby itching." I looked at my phone. "It's time for us to go anyway. I have to go to my moms house for dinner tonight."

"Really? Well rein check, go out to dinner with me tonight."

I sighed. "Rodney.."

He put his hands in his pockets. "I know. We need time. How could I forget?" Way to go Jess. "I'll go get our son." He went to where Reid was and picked him up, then came over to where I was.

"Is it time to go mommy?"

"Yes baby, we're going over grandmas."

"Daddy you coming with me and mommy to grandma house?"

Rodney shook his head. "No, sorry buddy. Daddy has to go back to work. I promise I'll see you tomorrow and we can hang out okay?"

Reid nodded. "Okay."

He kissed his forehead. "Okay."

I grabbed my bag from off the bench. "Alright baby time to go." I grabbed Reid and looked at Rodney. "I'll call you tomorrow?"

Rodney nodded and kissed my temple. "Be safe and text me when you get there. Okay?"

I nodded and laughed. "Okay dad I will."

"I'm serious Jessica."

"I know and I will. Now stop worrying so much and go back to work."

He chuckled. "I worry everyday about the love of my life and my kid. How could I not?"

I hummed. "Love of your life huh?"

He smirked. "Yes."

I smiled. "Slow remember?"

He rolled his eyes, teasingly. "How could I forget?"

I bit my lip and ran my fingers through Reid's hair. "Say bye daddy I love you."

Reid waved. "Bye daddy I love you."

Rodney waved back. "Bye. I love you too little buddy." He looked at me with longing, I probably was starring at him with the same expression. "Bye."

"See you." I waved and walked away.