chapter thirteen

December 22, 2012

I froze. I've heard this sound before, but it always makes me very overwhelmed every time I hear it. It's like music to my ears. I could hear my mom sniffling and my brother Adam cooing at my tummy. It was such a magical moment for us, for my family, my real family.

Dr. Ferris smiled. "Would you like to know the gender?"

We all nodded and watched as she showed us the different body parts.

"Congratulations Jessica, it's a boy." She beamed.

My mom screamed and kissed my forehead. "My baby's having a boy!" She looked at Adam and smiled. "It's a boy!"

Adam smiled at his mom then looked at me. "We're having a freaking boy." He squealed. "I'm so happy!"

I rolled my eyes with a smile on my face nevertheless. "A boy."

The appointment pretty much flew by after that. I've never felt so much happiness in my life. I thought I would've regretted this, but I don't. Not now, nor will I ever. I'm proud to say that I'm going to be a mom to an angel of a little boy. So proud.

May 24, 2016

Reid looked between Rodney and I, then back to Rodney. "Daddy?" He whispered.

Rodney nodded his head with a small smile grazing his face. "Yeah buddy?"

Reid beamed and reached out to him, but hesitated and looked at me. "Can I mommy?"

I ran my fingers through his hair. "Can you what babe?"

"Can I hug daddy?"

I smiled softly and cleared my throat to prevent the tears from falling. "Of course sweetie." I kissed his forehead and watched as he jumped into Rodney's arms.

Rodney hugged him carefully and looked at me with tears brimming in his eyes. He looked so happy.

"Mommy is daddy coming home with us?"

I flinched then looked at Rodney then back at Reid. "Actually babe.. Um.."

"I have to go to work buddy."

Reid scrunched up his adorable little face in confusion. "Huh?"

Rodney looked at me and raised his eyebrow. I sighed then looked at Reid. "You know how mommy goes to work and you have to go over grandma's house?"

He nodded. "Yeah."

"Well, daddy has to go to work too, but you won't be going over grandma's house you'll go home with me."

Reid eyes lit up in understanding. "Okay. Daddy can still come over, right mommy?" He yawned.

I nodded and kissed his cheek. "Yes babe."

Rodney nodded and rubbed his arm. "And we can play all the cool games you want, but for now you have to get some rest okay buddy?"

He nodded and laid down. "Goodnight mommy and daddy."

"Goodnight baby."

"Goodnight buddy."

Reid smiled then closed his eyes. I looked at Rodney and nodded towards the door and he followed. He stepped out after me and closed the door gently.

"That went well, better than I expected."

I raised an eyebrow. "What did you expect?"

He shrugged. "I don't know, screaming, crying, questions. Stuff like that."